• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tennessee votes to repeal ban on handguns in public buildings

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LINK

Kinda surprising, but not completely unexpected. I wonder if any other states will follow suit?

Although I'm for it in principle, nothing is more stupid then policy or law created as a knee-jerk reaction to an emotion-charged event in the media. I direct a vigorous wag of my finger towards the TN legislature.

Brett

Lonestar155

is good to go
Question... Could you be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon" if you fired back at someone who was firing at you? I have seen a few cases where the person defending him or herself was counter-sued, for such offence.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Although I'm for it in principle, nothing is more stupid then policy or law created as a knee-jerk reaction to an emotion-charged event in the media. I direct a vigorous wag of my finger towards the TN legislature.

Brett
The ends justify the means...:D

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Question... Could you be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon" if you fired back at someone who was firing at you? I have seen a few cases where the person defending him or herself was counter-sued, for such offence.

That's one of the things about using your weapon in a self-defense case. However, if the ensuing investigation shows you were in the right then you should be good. The one case I've specifically heard about was the guy shot the intruder, the intruder sued, but the judge threw out the case.

So, like always, think before you shoot.

osu33

I'd much rather have this legislation in my state (VA) than its counterpart proposed by Ms. Feinstein. But yes, I agree its a knee jerk reaction by TN.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm all for "knee-jerk" reaction(s) .... when they are kicking in the "right" way ... as in returning lost rights, winnowing out useless and needless "laws" that -- in point of fact -- are only restrictions on the law abiding, and restoring back to me the basic right of self defense.

'Cause nobody else is gonna protect you when "it" hits the fan. And anyway, who loves ya, Baby??? :)

Rubiks06

pilot
I think that FL has a pretty good policy. The stand your groung law pretty much makes it cut and dry. Someone breaks into your house and you shoot them the cops show up take your statement look at the scene after a brief investigation if they determine that you are right then they clean it up and you move on with things. The victim (if he/she lives) and their family on my understanding cant sue. There was a story on this six months or so ago. Some dude tried to break into a ladys house. She shot him and killed him. His family tried to sue her and basically it was squashed before it even was filed. They seem to be very no-nonsense about it down here as I think it shold be. If SOMEONE is pointing a gun at ME, I should have the right to assume that they are going to use it, and should be able to defend myself accordingly, none of this duty to retreat bull.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that FL has a pretty good policy. The stand your groung law pretty much makes it cut and dry. Someone breaks into your house and you shoot them the cops show up take your statement look at the scene after a brief investigation if they determine that you are right then they clean it up and you move on with things. The victim (if he/she lives) and their family on my understanding cant sue. There was a story on this six months or so ago. Some dude tried to break into a ladys house. She shot him and killed him. His family tried to sue her and basically it was squashed before it even was filed. They seem to be very no-nonsense about it down here as I think it shold be. If SOMEONE is pointing a gun at ME, I should have the right to assume that they are going to use it, and should be able to defend myself accordingly, none of this duty to retreat bull.

You're right. Recently the FL Legislature passed a law saying that the family of a burglar/intruder CANNOT sue the person who shot them. FL is very serious about their "castle doctrine". If you enter someone's house uninvited, the law sees it is a self defense scenario.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I had a shooting instructor one time give me some sage wisdom: "If someone is trying to kill you, shoot them untill the gun doesn't go bang anymore. Dead guys make for poor plaintiffs and its much easier for the court to believe that you were scared for your life then if you double tap him center-mass."

Lawman

None
I had a shooting instructor one time give me some sage wisdom: "If someone is trying to kill you, shoot them untill the gun doesn't go bang anymore. Dead guys make for poor plaintiffs and its much easier for the court to believe that you were scared for your life then if you double tap him center-mass."

Just dont reload and keep firing.... your going to have a hard time getting a jury to understand your irrational fear of zombies. ;)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

It HEAVILY depends on the state.

Southern and Western states have a good record of acquitting people who use force in self defense. NE states CA, OR, and WA have less then stellar records.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It HEAVILY depends on the state.

Southern and Western states have a good record of acquitting people who use force in self defense. NE states CA, OR, and WA have less then stellar records.

Im not calling you out or anything, just curious if you have any links to any cases where the less-than-stellar states went after the people shooting in self defense? Im interested to see how the hell you can get convicted for self defense (if that was the case). Thanks.