• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

technical Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2gerald

Does having a mechanical engineering degree help or almost guarantee one to get into the pilot program. I got a little bit above the minimums on the ASTB. I did 105 situps, 60 pushups, and I ran the 1.5 miles in 11:57. I am worried that I might not get selected. I still have a week to find out.

frogggystyle

There are several variables in the selection process. My degree was in Psychology and I was a Hospital Corpsman for 10 years before going to OCS...so this aviation stuff is all new to me. I see the Mech and Elec Engineer guys doing really well in the tests, so I think it would help. The biggest factor would be previous flight experience. They usually look at those guys first because they know the prospective pilot already knows how to fly and won't have much difficulty with the academics, which is the bulk of this program.

Hartman

Gerald, there are no guarantees in life, but an engineering degree definitely indicates that you posses DEMONSTRATED analytical capacity. There are numerous factors which can arguably determine if you have the ability to become a good pilot. Being able to think on your feet is most certainly one of them. I wouldn't worry too much about your ASTB scores or your PRT if you have a good GPA. Your degree speaks for itself and you're obviously healthy and capable of improving your level of fitness. Obtaining a pilot slot, however, has become very competitive recently. Give your application a go and see if you get accepted. IF you don’t, then KEEP TRYING. Check around on this forum. There are several dudes here who have been rejected and are still determined (and ready to give their left nut if necessary) to get a pilot slot. I don’t think the selection board has a choice but to raise an eyebrow when they see a previously rejected application. Desire is everything.

ghost_ttu

Hartman:

Will I need a waiver to give my left nut for that pilot spot? And do you think I could get one?

Hartman

This is how the report on your MEPS physical will look:

ghost_ttu:
Left nut missing
CD WR (Considered Disqualifying, Waiver Recommended)

ghost_ttu

hmmmm I've heard bad experiences from people that have had to apply for waiver. I think I'll just have to find another way. Besides, I might need both of them if I do get in.

JasonG

Is a degree in mathematics "equivalent" in terms of desired degrees for the Navy. Just wondering if mathematics will help me on the exams and some other stuff later down the road like TPS!

Well it ain't technical but it sure comes close!

Regards,
Jason

DDriver

quote:
Is a degree in mathematics "equivalent" in terms of desired degrees for the Navy. Just wondering if mathematics will help me on the exams and some other stuff later down the road like TPS!

Well it ain't technical but it sure comes close!

Regards,
Jason

Same here..but I don't how are math stuff can realy compete to get what we want.

Hartman

Some engineers tend to get a little pissed when math majors claim to have a technical degree. Who really gives a damn though? Point is...will it help you get into the Navy? Sure, it's not an easy degree. It shows commitment. Do I think it's equivalent to an engineering degree in terms of getting into the Navy? Helllll No! The board knows that if you can read, you can get a math degree.

Dave Shutter

After two OHAPRP stints I can say that tech degrees are the most preferred ie: aero/computer/engineering. Second would be science or math degrees followed closely by business degrees, especially if you focused on management. At the bottom are us pointy headed types with artsy fartsy majors, psycology and poli-sci. That said I will re-iterate how important it is to be as well rounded as you can. Apparently a bunch of guys with 8 lb. heads working in a room somewhere, monitoring student test scores vs. performance have come to the conclusion that a degree and scores aren't necessarily the solid prediction of performance they once were, hence the BI score requirement has gone out the window and your FAR score now weighs twice as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.