• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Teaching in Corpus

STLEngineer

pilot
Anyone out there have any experience getting certified as a teacher in Texas?

I'm headed to Corpus for Primary in a week or so and my wife is considering teaching. I'm likely to get P-3s (anthro'ed out of Jets and Helos) so it'd be about a year for us in Corpus. That seems like it would allow her to get the certificate, so she could just re-certify in other states when we move.

If we moved in mid-May is it a workable timeline for her to get a job during the summer, or are they usually taken by then? She's looking at teaching Math or Science, but could teach Spanish as well.

The program she's looking at is http://www.iteachtexas.com/
Does anyone know anthing about this program?

Any help would be great!
Thanks

riley

I don't know about getting certified in Texas, except for you have to take the TEXAS Certification Exam. My wife and I lived in Texas before joining the Marine Corps and she taught for two years, so she already had her Texas Teaching certificate when we moved to Corpus for primary. My only advice I wanted to give you was don't expect anything to happen fast in South Texas. Corpus School district had several 7th grade science teacher slots open, which is what my wife had taught previously in Texas, and she never heard back from them. She finally got another job with the district after waiting for about two months after first putting her application in. When we were about to leave, she noticed they were still looking for teachers for what she had applied to 6 mos earlier.

Have her apply early and keep on them. It might be quicker to just substitute teach and then get a teaching certificate at your next station. The pay is good for certified teachers. It is good to substitute while she is working on her teaching certificate. Also, it gets her foot in the door in the schools she subs at. Look at other options other than Corpus Christi ISD, IE. Flour Bluff school district is close (that is the school district that covers Padre Island).

vtpix03

Cobra Wife
I'm sorry that I can't help with the certification issue. But, I would like to recommend that she look hard at the Flour Bluff ISD.

I student taught at Flour Bluff Elementary School during the 6 months we were in Corpus (this past fall). Since I was allowed to student teach so far away from my university, they made me find my own placement. I called the Corpus Christi ISD every day for a week and never heard back. But, the Flour Bluff ISD called me back the next day and they had me placed the day after that! I really liked Flour Bluff and was disapointed to leave.

http://www.flourbluffschools.net/
They have a few math and science openings on the employment section of the Flour Bluff homepage.