• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tbs swim qual

GS-W

AH-1 W
At TBS how far do you have to swim, and how fast, to qualify really well? Also, do you need to do different strokes?

I saw the other threads but they are outdated... 2003. Do they still do the swim qual?

jtmedli

pilot
At TBS how far do you have to swim, and how fast, to qualify really well? Also, do you need to do different strokes?

I saw the other threads but they are outdated... 2003. Do they still do the swim qual?

Yeah, swim qual is still part of classing up at TBS. I'm pretty sure the CWS-1,2,3 swim manual is online if you just google it. It has all the requirements and techniques and whatnot.

GS-W

AH-1 W
I grew up within walking distance from the ocean, surfed regularly, and consider myself a decent swimmer, but in full clothing has to be very difficult! How good of a swimmer do you have to be in a swim suit, to manage doing the CWS1?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Swim qual is not difficult at TBS. Everyone must pass it. If you swim regularly you probably won't have any problem with anything at the TBS pool.

sanders

CWS 4/3 are easy. 2 is a little tricky... but if you are even a mediocre swimmer you will pass it on the first or second try. CWS1 is a little tough. I am an average swimmer and it took me 3 tries to pass it. You gotta get the strokes down just right. The instructors are pretty strict, but if you are a decent swimmer, don't sweat it. And if you don't pass the first time, you have the rest of the POI to retake it.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
The big issue when I was going through wasn't necessarily if you were a descent swimmer, it was if you were doing the strokes the way the instructors wanted you to. I was a competitive swimmer in HS and almost didn't pass because the instructor didn't like some of my strokes.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
you know how hard it is to be a Water Survival Qualified (WSQ)?

Water Survival Qualified (WSQ)
(1) Rescue. Dry land drill, water demonstration, and student practice time of all three rescues. Students must properly demonstrate each rescue for qualification, utilizing an appropriate entry technique with victim 20m away. Rescuers must return victim to rescuer point of origin. Victims are passive during carry or tow.

(a) Rescuer, using a stride jump entry, enters the water and performs a breaststroke approach stroke and assumes a ready position 6-8 feet from the victim. Victim puts rescuer in a front head hold, rescuer performs a front head hold escape. With victim passive, rescuer performs front surface approach and wrist tow.

(b) Rescuer, using a stride jump entry, enters the water and performs a breast stroke approach stroke and assumes a ready position 6-8 feet from the victim. Victim puts rescuer in a rear head hold, rescuer performs rear head hold escape. With victim active, and back to rescuer, rescuer performs rear approach, double armpit level-off. With victim passive, rescuer performs a double armpit tow and then transitions to a cross chest carry.

(c) Rescuer, using a stride-jump entry, enters the water and performs a breast stroke approach stroke and assumes a ready position 6-8 feet from the victim. Victim puts rescuer in a double wrist grip, rescuer performs wrist grip escape. With victim active, rescuer performs a single armpit level-off. With victim passive, rescuer performs a single armpit tow and transitions to a collar tow.

(2) Tread water or survival float in deep water, with utilities and boots, for 30 minutes without artificial flotation. Boots will be removed after 5 minutes and retained. Five minutes prior to completion of the 30 minute float, andwithout exiting from the water, replace the boots and swim 500m, using one or a combination of, survival strokes.