• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Reading List

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I was checking out the TBS website and they had a reading list of recommended titles that students should read before they report. For anyone that has been to TBS, is it a good idea to adhere to this list? I don't report until November, so I would have plenty of time to read the 12 or so titles, but I wanted to make sure. Also, can anyone recommend other books that would be good to read before heading to TBS? Thanks!

Arc Angel

2nd Lt at TBS
Can you post that web address for the reading list? If I understand the TBS class up schedule correctly, the graduates of OCC 187 only have a month, month and a half before we would be heading into TBS. It would be nice to get a jump start on them if we're selected.

CandKyMarine

Reading list? Are you kidding? You are going to HATE TBS by about week 6. So my advice: don't do anything concerning that place until you absolutly have to. They'll haze you plenty while you're there, don't give them a jumpstart

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Anyone else who isn't as pessimistic about TBS have any info? And Arc Angel, I couldn't post a link, but if you go to the TBS website (http://www.tbs.usmc.mil) on the left side of the page there is a "Links" section. Click on it and then click on the "Student Reading List" link.

orthaj

if you don't hate TBS by week six you can bet you will dislike it very much...it does go by fast long days, short weeks. as for the reading list business if you have time to read, read. if you dont have time to read, don't worry about it. you will find time to read once you are at tbs (somehow).

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Make sure you read MCDP 1 "Warfighting". It's an easy read, and you will be expected to read it your first week. If you take your time and read it during some down time before you show up you will have less to worry about during zero week. I can promise you will need to read this, anything else you read may provide good info, but I can't promise you any other "head starts" besides MCDP 1.

SgtofMarines

Read!!!

Having recently graduated from the Staff Academy not long ago as the Honor Graduate, here's my advice to you. If it's on the list, READ IT!! Pertaining to the post about not having anything to do with TBS before you go because you're get plenty while you're there...that's a typical unMarine thing to say. Everybody will be tasked with the reading assignments AS WELL AS the other assignments given. If you have already read the book beforehand, you are already one-up on the rest of your class. While their trying to cram the reading in, you are focusing on your other more important studies.

Semper Fi

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SgtofMarines said:
Having recently graduated from the Staff Academy not long ago as the Honor Graduate, here's my advice to you. If it's on the list, READ IT!! Pertaining to the post about not having anything to do with TBS before you go because you're get plenty while you're there...that's a typical unMarine thing to say. Everybody will be tasked with the reading assignments AS WELL AS the other assignments given. If you have already read the book beforehand, you are already one-up on the rest of your class. While their trying to cram the reading in, you are focusing on your other more important studies.

Semper Fi

That would apply if you actually had to study for anything at TBS. The tests are typical Marine multiple choice tests. Pay attention in the review, and you can ace the tests. The reading load is minimal. You'll discuss Warfighting more times than you care to and your platoon will have a specific book your SPC decides to study. Add in the company battle-study book and that's about it for the reading load at TBS. If you have a basic grasp of warfighting before going, sure, you might impress your SPC for a day or two....but honestly, there is nothing you need to read up on before going -- you will get MORE than your fill of TBS within the first month.

lugginjugs

Not a good flight for SNA...but good enough.
You might want to get a jump on flight school too. I'll have all my FTIs and systems manuals to give away soon. Buy some EP flashcards too. You can quiz other 7599s while you're hacking the s#$t out of the Quantico like vegetation while digging in. Multi-tasking will really pay off. Read what interests you. There is some great warfighting material out there and there are plenty of clones out there. With the Old Breed is a good start and is an outstanding piece of work - I think it makes most lists - It's a good grounder for all the times you run around begging for pink mist. Candide is a great classic too but I don't remember seeing it on any USMC list.

Status
Not open for further replies.