• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS prep

Killer2

TRONS!
None
That is the only thing I miss about that place, the haircut, or at least the free backrub after the haircut. No never got the "happy ending" either, I didn't tip well enough I guess.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
They were OK and TBS medical has them.They will give you 2 if you ask them. Personally, I will say go out to a running store and buy a solid pair. You will be in your boots for most of the time at TBS and those things do not last that long. Investing some money in a good pair will pay off.

The PX on Mainside Quantico actually has a pair of insoles that you have heat up and they are suppose to form to your feet. Check it out

They are called Bio Soles and I like them better than Superfeet or any other crap and they are cheaper. You can buy them at Quantico boot if TBS medical doesn't have them.

The best thing you can do to have really comfortable feet while on humps is to spend the money and buy Danners. But, its kinda a waste of money since you won't really be using them much after TBS for a few years at least.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Make yourself some "cheat-sheets" that contain non-obvious information about stuff you have to study. For example, make a list of all the weapons in the USMC inventory, their max-effective ranges, kill radii, sustained rates of fire, etc. Make another one for which articles of the UCMJ apply to which offenses. Update these after you receive the classes on them, and share them with your buddies in your squad. This will earn you TBS "rep-points."

irishmc

Put down the publications besides knowing the 5 paragraph order backwards and forwards and do combat conditioning. The academics are not that hard. If you have a weighted vest run with that if you dont buy one because you will do so many things with that god awful flak vest. You should be running 50/50 in your boots because at TBS I ran in go fasters 3 times and it was for 3 pft's. Anything you can do to add weight to a run and look up the new combat fitness test if that is the correct name. And by know the five paragraph order I mean know it because it will make your life easier. Then step back, take a knee, and punch yourself in the face..............welcome to the Marine Corps

Does anybody have good gouge on this new test? Today was the first time I've heard anything about it. Google has turned up disconnected info mostly in articles from 2007.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
We did it at OCS, almost all of it was with wargear, kevlar and weapon and involved (from what I remember):

1) starting in the prone position weapon pointed downrange, getting up and running ~50 meters and picking up a buddy and fireman carry him back in less than a minute to pass
2) rope climb with weapon and full gear ( I think about less than 45 seconds to pass)
3) running as a squad through a short combat course, low crawling under barb wire, around tires and shooting blanks at those green targets (less than 5 minutes to pass, this was the easiest part)
4) Run with weapon/wargear (can't remember time/distance, I think it was about 3 miles)
5) I'm blanking out on this one, the combat course, endurance course, and this all blend together in my memory bank. feel free to add/correct anything...

by the way, just read your profile "God bless GySgt Clark" OMG my platoon made me play him in our gong show skit, he was ten feet behing me the whole time. I kept expecting a kabar in my back as soon as I took off my boots and put them on my knees (dorf style) to "get into character", but somehow I pulled it off.

irishmc

We did it at OCS, almost all of it was with wargear, kevlar and weapon and involved (from what I remember):

1) starting in the prone position weapon pointed downrange, getting up and running ~50 meters and picking up a buddy and fireman carry him back in less than a minute to pass
2) rope climb with weapon and full gear ( I think about less than 45 seconds to pass)
3) running as a squad through a short combat course, low crawling under barb wire, around tires and shooting blanks at those green targets (less than 5 minutes to pass, this was the easiest part)
4) Run with weapon/wargear (can't remember time/distance, I think it was about 3 miles)
5) I'm blanking out on this one, the combat course, endurance course, and this all blend together in my memory bank. feel free to add/correct anything...

by the way, just read your profile "God bless GySgt Clark" OMG my platoon made me play him in our gong show skit, he was ten feet behing me the whole time. I kept expecting a kabar in my back as soon as I took off my boots and put them on my knees (dorf style) to "get into character", but somehow I pulled it off.

You've just described the CRT (Combat Readiness Test). From what I've read this new "Combat Fitness Test" isn't the same thing. What it really consists of however I don't have a clue yet. Obviously it's going to be geared much more to combat conditioning, but I'm curious as to the structure of it and it's relation to the PFT, if any.

Re: GySgt Clark - hah, believe me, EVERY platoon at the end of my 10 weeks did a GySgt Clark skit. And yeah, most of them involved midgets screaming. His face was so red after the skits, and to see him basically rolling over laughing after those 10 weeks with him was amazing. I will never forget that man.

MettGT

pilot
You've just described the CRT (Combat Readiness Test). From what I've read this new "Combat Fitness Test" isn't the same thing. What it really consists of however I don't have a clue yet. Obviously it's going to be geared much more to combat conditioning, but I'm curious as to the structure of it and it's relation to the PFT, if any.

Re: GySgt Clark - hah, believe me, EVERY platoon at the end of my 10 weeks did a GySgt Clark skit. And yeah, most of them involved midgets screaming. His face was so red after the skits, and to see him basically rolling over laughing after those 10 weeks with him was amazing. I will never forget that man.

We did the CFT while at TBS...it consists of 3 parts.

Part 1: 880m boots and utes run/sprint

Part 2: 30lbs ammo can lift - as many reps as you can in 2min....can must pass below your chin and arms must lock out, you can can use your legs to help

Part 3: Maneuver course...start off in the prone and low crawl to the first flag (6pts of contact), baby crawl to the next flag (4pts of contact), sprint to the next flag, then weave through the next set of flags to your buddy who is sitting. Drag your buddy back through the weaving set of flags, then fireman's carry back to the starting line. Next sprint w/ two 30lbs ammo cans to the designated flag and then weave through the weaving set of flags, set down the cans, throw a grenade....if it impacts in the box = deduct 5 seconds to your final time, if it impacts outside the box = add 5 seconds to your final time....immeadately after you throw the grenade, do 3 push-ups (simulates ducking behind cover so you don't blow yourself up watching your grenade throw), pick up the ammo cans, do the weave, and then sprint to the end.

Clear as mud? When we did it, we had to have a guide to tell us what to do where, since it was kind of convoluted. Also, the distance from the starting line to your buddy is 100m, I believe.

boxflyer

Chill out bubba, enjoy life in the FirstCivLant. Heck, I graduated from OCS on Friday, started TBS three days later on Monday. Stay in shape and get ready for life in the Corps. Good luck, Semper Fi.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Chill out bubba, enjoy life in the FirstCivLant. Heck, I graduated from OCS on Friday, started TBS three days later on Monday. Stay in shape and get ready for life in the Corps. Good luck, Semper Fi.

You must be OCC-197/C Co.

Half way done.