• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS in Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mottoalex

Just wondering if anyone is reporting for TBS on Sept 5. After a six-month wait and much OSO BS I finally got "courtesy" orders for Sept. I've never heard of courtesy orders before, however I was told by my OSO that they are real orders, but not yet signed. Has anyone heard of this, and is it possible for them to delay courtesy orders?

Espy
USMCR
Cpl.

Edited by - mottoalex on 08/18/2002 19:49:49

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I've never heard of courtesy orders, but that doesn't mean the don't exist. I graduated in May and was supposed to commission at the graduation ceremony and was all set to report to TBS 11 Jun. To make a long story short, I didn't even see my commissioning paperwork til 19 Jul. So now my TBS date is set for Apr 2003. At least my "Air Contract" survived the paperwork fiasco.

Expect the worse. My orders have already been delayed 7 times now. Now its just funny. We'll get there eventually. I try to stay possitive, "At least this is giving me more time to spend with my 3 week old boy, for PT and studying for flight school" Anyhow, good luck at TBS and I"m sure I'll see you in the Fleet.

2nd Lt Bailey

"You forgot your furtune cookie"

Dirty Harry

mottoalex

Well, I finally got to TBS. Just completed week one with Fox Co. I was suppose to report in April but you know how OSO's are. Anyway, courtesy orders are when district has the orders in hand but the CO is not in to sign them. They call the OSO to give the Lt's a heads up on when they are going to TBS. Anyway, if anyone has questions, just ask. I'll try to answer them as soon as possible.

Espy
USMC
2nd Lt.

JF

Sounds like the waiting for TBS is the same as the waiting for OCS! Long and ever changing. I know I gotta complete OCS first... but I have a question about what you do while you are awaiting orders to TBS. Do you get paid? What do you do? This especially is of concern if i have a family to support at that point.

Lt_SNA_USMC

JF:
If you going to OCS OCC (10 weeks and then commissioning at graduation), then you will be active duty and will be paid straight thru OCS and TBS. In other words, you will not stop getting paid. You are active duty. After OCS (on graduation day usually), you will check into TBS and will receive about a week of leave. (A week to move your family). Then you will check into TBS in Mike co. Mike co. is a holding company until you pick up with your TBS company. You could be in Mike co for a week to a month. This is time to recoop and prepare for TBS. You will really work like half days and you will won't do much. Don't complain. Rest, PT, spend time with family. Because when TBS training picks up, you will be extremely busy again. My brother just did the same thing you are doing and we helped him move and stuff so I have the heads up on how it worked for him because I was there. So do not worry about the money or the move. The Marine Corps will pay for everything and will continue to pay you thru the transition. Hope this helped. Good Luck and
Semper Fi.
Lt Williamson, USMC

JF

Thanks for the info sir. I am just itching to get going. Hopefully I will get into the January OCC class. If not then, June and so on!

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
As Lt. Espy alluded to earlier, if you commission through the PLC program expect at least a six month wait before reporting to TBS. I haven't really figured out why we get the shaft when it comes to wait times but once you get in then all officers proceed through training and wait times the same; regardless of commissioning source. During your wait time you won't be getting any money from the Marine Corps unless you do PTAP with your OSO and even then I think that is only allowed for sixty days. Right now I'm LT. bartender back home which is nice because I get to see family and have a lot of time for PT, but sucks because I come from a town of about 3,000. So pretty much you will have to make ends meet until you get to TBS. Stay motivated!

Semper Fidelis

mottoalex

Mike company is a good and bad thing. If you are waiting to pick up you usually have two formations. One at 0700 and one at 1300. Other than that you are on your own. Sometimes they have PT, but not too often. Marines that get injured are also sent to Mike. There is a Marine in my company that was in Mike for 1.5 years. Additionally, there is a Lt. in Mike that has seen 5 companies start training without him. If you get injured you are at the mercy of the Docs. Avoid it at all costs!!!!!!!! Anyway, going to the range next week, so should be fun. Any Q's, just ask.

FYI (Interesting Gouge): Out of 197 Marines in my company, 119 are air contracts. They say its the largest number of air contracts to go through TBS, at one time, in the history of TBS. Additionally, I was talking to some Marines in Charlie, they have filled USMC API slots until the middle of Feb. with 60-70 air contracts in their company.

Espy
USMC
2nd Lt.

JTP

Do you know a Marine at TBS now named Mark Montgomery? UGA grad. Should be one of those headed to API after TBS.

GO DAWGS!!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Charlie isn't on the Board down here at MATSG yet, but, I believe the current numbers stand that only 5 Marines per week are allowed to start API. The math says that those Marines you talked with are right. They should fill 14 weeks with their company alone! What company are you with that has 119 air contracts?

Actually, API is already booked through the middle of November (because of Bravo). So, Charlie will have it booked back further than Feb.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, in the last couple of months they were placing more than 5 per week. But, from what I understand they were told to limit them to 5 (I see that they've scheduled 6 or 7 a week a couple of times -- but are still trying to keep it close to 5). I'd have to ask the ASCO why they are trying to limit it like that.

You're the biggest whiner of them all! ;-] I'm curious as to why you're hiding behind your name?

mottoalex

The Marine I talked to said that some contracts are reporting as early as the middle of November. They graduate in the beginning of October. I'm in Fox Co (Frozen Fox). More Gouge: The CO told us that for ground contracts there are going to be about 24 0402 spots and about 28 0302 spots.

The name Montgomery doesn't ring a bell; however, we are only in our third week of training.

Espy
USMC
2nd Lt.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Well, I guess it narrows down who gets what, ya know? There was like two of this, three of that, one of those, for our straw pull. That was one time I was glad to have an air contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.