• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taxpayer wasted money: NMCI Windows 10 update

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The real travesty is the wifi on this Air Force base is just slow enough to occasionally get me killed in Call of Duty. It's the lag, I swear.

We've also got WiFi NIPR. And WiFi SIPR. And it works, really well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I mean I dunno. Modern linux distros aren't THAT much harder to use, and don't look all to different from Windows at least from my experiences. Not too different from transitioning from Windows to MacOS. Seems like a full transition would make it easier to manage from the admin perspective in terms of upgrades, security etc, but I am sure there would be a metric ton of downsides too.
NMCI is an enterprise solution for every Navy employee. By using a widely proliferated OS we ensure max compatibility with others and ability to use many COTS apps while avoiding a huge.training overhead because most are familiar with the windows OS. USN doesn't want or need to sustain an in house Unix system. With a few exceptions most employees need a box that can do the email and some internetting. There are other solutions available for people who need more horsepower.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its very hardware-dependent. In my DH tour, the NMCI assets were relatively effective, and I could get work done. Now that I'm at a shore command, it's terrible. Our notebooks here are the same models my fleet squadron had tech-refreshed 2-3 years ago, which were then replaced again in late 2019. They may not have enough RAM, but they definitely don't have the HDD bandwidth to support Windows 10 or the performance-crushing bloatware that is McAfee AV.

I have to reboot every time I bring it home or RAS/VPN won't work. Can't get any nerdery done in Excel without a few daily app crashes.

Maybe NAWDC has fleet-like priority/assets? The newest notebooks are silver with sleek low-profile docks. The dark gray notebooks were before that, and I rock a black HP, probably from before I winged.
We have desktop machines for NIPR and SIPR. They run i3 4160 CPUs w/ 8GB RAM. Not stellar performance, but adequate.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
If this the semi-annual NMCI bitch session...I'll pile on...

Waited 30 mins for a machine to sort of load to try to do my work. I would click and then get the blue spinning wheel of "patience."

As a reservist now, I see how large enterprise IT can be done in the business world. I know very little about it honestly, but it can be done well. NMCI has requirements that are beyond the business world and I think its size is its own weight around its neck, but there has to be something that can be done to make it better....

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
This raised my blood pressure yesterday. Spent two hours across six machines trying to log on. My favorite is that our SIPR machine will occasionally lose connection to the keyboard due to the KVM switch, and the only solution is a restart. So I restarted, and it booted straight up into a Green Shutdown (these take 5-45 minutes, depending on your gods).

Animal rage.

The thing that gets me is that 8GB of RAM should be plenty, but the computers will FREQUENTLY boot up to black screens with operable cursors, requiring the user to manually execute "explorer.exe" to attempt to run the OS. That will usually fail. I don't know what the Navy's got running in the background of these computers, but the computers at my current command are worse than any I've encountered on the ships or elsewhere.

I have had the auto-CAC lock out happen to me multiple times. NMCI on the phone can't do anything for you, so you have to get your card unlocked at PSD. Good luck getting that unlocked with a walk in appointment in the middle of the work day. I wasted about four hours getting mine unlocked, only to have it lock me out again the second I tried to log in. NMCI swore it was my CAC, the ID people swore it was NMCI and refused to give me a new card. Then the ID card software went down nationwide so I couldn't get a new one. Yadda yadda. It made me realize how I need a computer to do anything ground-job related.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Day one of the reserves began with PS2 telling me how much they like teleworking for drill, because home computers typically work better than NMCI. I then spent the next four hours getting a reserve ID and trying to update my page 2, with about an hour of that devoted to logging into the network and spooling up a browser. Drill complete!

Day one of my primary civilian job began with me being handed a laptop, an iPad, and an iPhone, all of which had pre-activated user accounts in my name and took less than 15 minutes to set up with my password and preferences. I working productively within the first hour. I won't pretend we don't have network issues at my company- we do, they're an occasional annoyance- but nothing compares to the white-hot frustration of NMCI.

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
OWA is still kicking my ass, so can't check .mil email from home yet...
Not sure if it's AF specific, but once I installed the "DOD Install Root" software, things started to magically start working. Of course there's the issue with the new Microsoft Edge not working with S/MIME, but...yeah.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Not sure if it's AF specific, but once I installed the "DOD Install Root" software, things started to magically start working. Of course there's the issue with the new Microsoft Edge not working with S/MIME, but...yeah.

Holy shit, I didn't realize I actually posted that... thought I was editing an unposted message.

How many of these ? have I had?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Its very hardware-dependent. In my DH tour, the NMCI assets were relatively effective, and I could get work done. Now that I'm at a shore command, it's terrible. Our notebooks here are the same models my fleet squadron had tech-refreshed 2-3 years ago, which were then replaced again in late 2019. They may not have enough RAM, but they definitely don't have the HDD bandwidth to support Windows 10 or the performance-crushing bloatware that is McAfee AV.

I have to reboot every time I bring it home or RAS/VPN won't work. Can't get any nerdery done in Excel without a few daily app crashes.

Maybe NAWDC has fleet-like priority/assets? The newest notebooks are silver with sleek low-profile docks. The dark gray notebooks were before that, and I rock a black HP, probably from before I winged.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about.....though my last fleet squadron got the new books last year, and they were absolute garbage the day they came out of the box and never got better, especially once they were "deployed" to ship's CANES (sp?). But I'd concur that shore command assets are no better.

I do get the sense that it is primarily McAfee related, or possibly other security things. I'm not really a computer guy, if you can't already tell from my previous statement. Long story short, I just need it to work. If our jets were this bad, nobody would ever get airborne. At the end of the day, I don't really need an explanation from NMCI or anyone else, they just need to do their job and give us a product that works.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course there's the issue with the new Microsoft Edge not working with S/MIME, but...yeah.
Uggggghhh . . . RESERVIST SMASH!! ?

Sure, I can send stuff via SAFE, but whenever some chucklehead sends me encrypted PII via email, well, Internet Explorer it is, I guess. Oh, and apparently we can't get PKI certs to cross the streams or be at all standardized within DOD, so whenever my XO sends me something properly encrypted or signed from his GS account in SOCOM land, apparently I'm just supposed to go fuck myself.