• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TAW-5 Now doing DETS to Las Cruces, NM

Dokkenrulz

It's not just for Corpus Christi folks anymore! The rumors are true, VT-2 and VT-6 are sending people to wrap up contacts, 4390 checkride, solos, PA's, and Forms out in Las Cruces.

VT-2 and VT-6, as well as the civilians, are doing detachments to the beautiful and exotic Las Cruces, NM from just after BI's until Forms complete. All TAW-5 studs on deck at the Wing, be advised you may be heading there once you are out of BI's.

VT-27 and VT-28 have done this successfully in the past. Supposedly, you will be complete within 3-4 weeks in going out there, vice the 3-4 months its seems like it's been taking lately largely due to weather. It's a good deal, don't let the double-pump flights scare you.

One advantage right out of the gate: You no longer need to know North Whiting course rules! :icon_mi_1 I'd still bring your FWOP with you for other pertinent info, however. They will go over the KLRU course rules when you get there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
One advantage right out of the gate: You no longer need to know North Whiting course rules! :icon_mi_1 I'd still bring your FWOP with you for other pertinent info, however. They will go over the KLRU course rules when you get there.

But if you don't finish on det, you'll have to finish back at home and will be expected to know the Whiting course rules without the benefit of having flown them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But if you don't finish on det, you'll have to finish back at home and will be expected to know the Whiting course rules without the benefit of having flown them.

More than likely they'll just keep you out there until you finish, barring any academic or medical issues. When I flew w/ the Corpus det (as a Whiting IP) a few years ago, there was a constant stream of new studs coming in every week or two as the FORM complete guys went home. It's probably not worth the expense for Whiting guys, but the Corpus guys would do BI's at Las Cruces, as well. A great deal for everyone. The studs could get through BI's pretty quick and it left plenty of time for the IP to fool around for a few minutes at the end of the event because the CR were so close to KLRU.

I would be interested to see how Whiting guys handle the working areas. It was a huge deal to the Corpus guys if more than one T-34 was in a working area, but for the Whiting guys, most of the working areas are as big as Area 2, just w/out the OLFs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
More than likely they'll just keep you out there until you finish

That's what I figured was "The Plan", but the "you don't need to know whiting course rules" line just seems like a set up for disappointment later on.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what I figured was "The Plan", but the "you don't need to know whiting course rules" line just seems like a set up for disappointment later on.

I gotcha, but I have a feeling there would be some relaxed grading going on if that happened. Something akin to when the Corpus guys came and flew at Whiting for their Forms. Obviously they didn't know PT Charlie from PT Loma.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
...VT-2 and VT-6 are sending people to wrap up contacts, 4390 checkride, solos, PA's, and Forms out in Las Cruces.

No real surprise. The commodore, CAPT Vandiver, is an ex-VT-27 CO and is used to needing/doing the dets. I am sure making VT-2/6 COs "comfortable" didn't take very long:)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Here's a stupid question. How do they get the birds there? Whiting to Las Cruces is probably three pretty long legs. Can't do contacts, BIs or Forms, and that's a lot of hours for no Xs. So take RIs over and hope their commercial ticket back is worth it?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Here's a stupid question. How do they get the birds there? Whiting to Las Cruces is probably three pretty long legs. Can't do contacts, BIs or Forms, and that's a lot of hours for no Xs. So take RIs over and hope their commercial ticket back is worth it?

From what we were told, the T-34s from TW-5 that were replaced with T-6s are now sitting in Las Curces. Or possibly they came here and some of our birds are in Las Curces. Either way, it's because of the T-6s. Just RUMORINT though...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

No idea about primary land (as they didn't do a det while I was in Corpus), but for advanced, normally they would use BI/RI guys to stage aircraft, and then comair them to/from. Normally you can do a log leg or two in conjunction with a cross country, so I'd imagine that they might plan on knocking out a studs RI ccx req's + maybe a log leg, and then comair them home. Just speculation though....

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
We sent BI/RI/VNAV guys to Roswell in the T-34s. Almost all still needed to do forms or contacts/PAs. Since about half of Corpus studs do forms after RI this worked out pretty well. TC-12s and T-44s came out to ROW twice a week to pick up and drop off studs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, that's the big thing the TW-5 guys won't have, T-44 support. So there will definitely be more Comair cost involved. As for getting the birds out there, you need a bunch of IPs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they fly a lot of them out there w/out studs, since you get get out there quicker w/out studs then with.

Ajleger

I'm out here now, IPs flew the birds out. All the T34s out here are Whiting planes, and all the Whiting students flew comair. As said above, the 'plan' is for students not to have to relearn the whiting course rules.