• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoos of Wings

exNavyOffRec

I would be interested in the data regarding visible tattoos being the number one reason for no call back came from HR depts; I would expect it would be things like being underqualified, lousy resume, and a bad interview. I would love to show my teenage daughter data like that to convince her to keep her skin unblemished.

It was an article on yahoo or MSN that was by SHRM, if I would have joined SHRM I would have the hard copy but I have blown off doing that.

The other thing is to walk into any corporate office and look at the people around there, no gauged ears, no excessive piercings, no sleeved arms, everyone looks quite average.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would love to show my teenage daughter data like that to convince her to keep her skin unblemished.
I outright told both of my daughters no tatoos until they are out of the house and on their own. I believe I said something like this "If you show up at home with a tatoo (or funny piercings), that tells mom and dad that you no longer need or desire our monitary assistance."

It seems to have done the trick. Oldest daughter graduated college and youngest daughter is in her Sophomore year at college. Both with "umblemished skin."

exNavyOffRec

I outright told both of my daughters no tatoos until they are out of the house and on their own. I believe I said something like this "If you show up at home with a tatoo (or funny piercings), that tells mom and dad that you no longer need or desire our monitary assistance."

It seems to have done the trick. Oldest daughter graduated college and youngest daughter is in her Sophomore year at college. Both with "umblemished skin."

I now know who I will be emailing for advice.

jmcquate

Contributor
In order to provide some balance to this discussion, I will provide a list of jobs that you won't be able to get unless you have a visible tattoo.

Nevermind.
Well, any minimum wage job that a (insert word here) studies major needs to have to cover rent.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
People without tattoos talk quite a bit about jobs that you can't get because of tattoos.

Ever stop to think that the kind of person that gets a tattoo may not even give a shit about being a CEO stuck in an office all day?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever stop to think that the kind of person that gets a tattoo may not even give a shit about being a CEO stuck in an office all day?

I would hazard a guess that many folks aren't thinking much at all when they get a tattoo, especially some of them young'uns who still think they are invincible.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Well, any minimum wage job that a (insert word here) studies major needs to have to cover rent.

Stop being a tool.

First its fucking 2014, the number of places that can afford to discriminate against tattoos is plummeting. Tattoo culture has exploded in the US over the past 20 years. Australia, Germany, Denmark, Poland, and the Czech Republic have all seen the same thing. England is at the beginning of a huge explosion. Its only a matter of time before the Navy has to ease their rules as well.

Second, about 70% of the officers I know have at least one tattoo. That officers don't get tattoos thing is antiquated. My O-6, post major command tour, skipper in ROTC started getting tattooed when he was an O-5.

Before I joined the Navy I worked at Apple at the Austin campus, before that I worked at Dell. Never once had to worry about being tattooed. I made a little more than minimum wage.

statesman

pilot
I would hazard a guess that many folks aren't thinking much at all when they get a tattoo, especially some of them young'uns who still think they are invincible.
Many folks arent, but at the shop I worked at we had people who thought long and hard about what they were doing. Tattooing isn't all "MOM" hearts and barbwire. Our shop wouldn't even consider tattooing tribal arm bands or barbed wire.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Second, about 70% of the officers I know have at least one tattoo. That officers don't get tattoos thing is antiquated. My O-6, post major command tour, skipper in ROTC started getting tattooed when he was an O-5.

It is still rare for an officer to have a visible one though (except LDOs and CWOs).

Many folks arent, but at the shop I worked at we had people who thought long and hard about what they were doing. Tattooing isn't all "MOM" hearts and barbwire. Our shop wouldn't even consider tattooing tribal arm bands or barbed wire.

Sounds cool brah!

statesman

pilot
It is still rare for an officer to have a visible one though (except LDOs and CWOs).
We have 5 or 6 URL Os in my squadron that have tattoos visible in short sleeve uniforms.

Besides having visible tattoos wasn't really the topic of conversation... it was tattoos, and tattoos on officers in general.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
statesman, we have drank together, and i am not at all trying to toss some salt on your game. But 70% of non-priors do not have tatts. I don't find offense with guys that do (one of my best skippers had one), but it isn't in any way the norm. That isn't really arguing anything other than to say that I don't believe it is as common as that.