• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TAPs and Civilian Flight School

desf4

I have my pro-rec for OCS and my PQ, just waiting for my security clearance to receive my final select and my OCS date, which will probably be in March.

After OCS, can I use the Navy's Tuition Assistance Program to pay up to $4,500 for civilian flight school for training for my Introductory Flight Screening?

rdjarvis

No, TA want cover that, and the Post 9/11 GI bill wont either. I tried to do that in Fall of 2009 to get my PPL. I had to pay out of pocket.

81montedriver

pilot
NO WAY! There is no reason to do "training for introductory flight screening"! IFS is supposed to be an INTRODUCTION to flying. Right now your focus should be on OCS. Besides, if you learn to fly from a civilian flight school (which is all IFS is) you will pick up way too many bad habits.

Military flying is completely different from civilian flying and you will learn many things differently. The Navy likes to teach things THEIR way so I would say most of the $4500 you thought about spending would have gone to waste. Save it and pay for some other kind of schooling.

If you are still not convinced I can go on and on about why it's a bad idea.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Just go to Sammy's in PCola when you're stashed in A-Pool and make it rain. That's all you should be doing until you start API.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just go to Sammy's in PCola when you're stashed in A-Pool and make it rain. That's all you should be doing until you start API.

My career goals in the Marine Corps include turning "make it rain" into an official tactical task.