• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking the ASTB

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
When I took the ASTB back in March, I took the electronic version and used the technique of eliminating weird answers right away. It seemed to work for me, and I was using a Cliff notes study guide that has the AFOQT, ASVAB and ASTB in it. I studied them all and wound up getting AQR-6, PFAR-8, FOFAR-7 and a 47 on the OAR which I was kinda bummed about but I'll wait and see what happens after my frist application before doing a re-take.

Josh

Mattyksides

Hi Guys

If my interest is in OCS - Naval Intel. should my studynig techniques be the same as if I were becoming a pilot. Also, Im 26 years old, will my age work against me. Thanks for your time.

jmcdonn2

Kill Al-Qaeda
I took the ASTB today and found the math and verbal to be fairly easy. The arco book was alright for the math portion, the verbal portion was ok also. My form ot the test only asked for what a person could infer from reading the given passage. The book was decent with the mechanical portion. I thought the Arco spatial apperception was incredibly easy compared to the actual test, although it did give me a decent background. The Aviation/Nautical portion of the test was not as excruciating as I had expected. Anyone who puts a good two weeks to a month of studying can do really well on this test. Good luck to all of you.
Jesse

prsdrag0n

Here is a study guide I compiled for the nautical portion. It has questions I recalled from version 3, and I have also gone through the pilot's flight manual for additional facts. I am planning on retaking the ASTB next week, so this should help a lot. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Nautical Study Guide.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 268

gtown99

passing on the LEFT?????

Hey,
Previous poster's study guide states that a plane overtaking another passes on the left. I thought it passes on the right??? Not on the left?

gtg941f

pilot
call me crazy isn't posting exact questions from the astb a little ethically sketchy and discredit the validity of future scoring. afterall, the overwhelming awareness of questions on the last version of the astb was one of the reasons for the creation of the new astb.

sure, it's alright to give answers to questions that people have but not when those questions come directly from the test.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the Nautical Study Guide.....who wrote this anyway?

• Angle of Attack – Angle formed by the chord line of the wing and the oncoming airflow......that should be relative wind, not oncoming airflow.

• On an airplane, what causes increased lift? Flaps.....call me crazy, but I thought it was the increased angle of attack that causes an increas in lift. Flaps are a method of achieving that goal.

• If a plane is straight & level during flight, its propulsion is greater than drag....??

• Windlass: Where the anchor is located or stored.....no, you're probably thinking of the chain locker and that is to store the anchor chain, not the anchor. You don't really "store" the anchor. The windlass is used to slowly lower the anchor or to raise it.

• Extended Position (of F-14's wings): Provides increased lift at low speeds....ok, but I thought it was the flaps that increased lift on airplanes. I'm so confused.