• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking the ASTB while on active duty

crazyaviatrix

Hi all,

I've been trying to arrange taking the ASTB and am getting no where. I'm currently at GL awaiting instruction for ET "A" . It was like pulling teeth to get my LPO to find out who my command career counslor is, then the CCC looked at me like I was crazy when I told him what I intend to do with my career. After getting no help from that end, I called my recruiter who told me the CCC had to set it up for me. So now what? Any suggestions would be great!

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I talked to the NAVY College on base who gave me some numbers to call to another base. The NAVY college on the other base hosted the ASTB for our area, so I just set up an appointment with them. Glad to see you have learned a very important lesson, your command may try to help you, or may not, but either case, it is better to rely on yourself, then to rely on others about your own future. Good luck.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I believe you are facing resistance because you haven't even started your "A" school yet. I was interested very early on officer programs as well (before I was even in "A" school as well) and faced resistance at several training commands. However, as soon as I made it through my training my parent command was very supportive in getting me headed in the right direction. I know this doesn't answer any aspect of your question but I just wanted to let you know that you haven't been the only one facing resistance early on and probably would not be the last. I have met several people putting in an application for officer but I can't recall anyone actually getting picked up for an officer program before/durning training. There is probably several reasons for this including evals, quals, awards, CoC support (probably the biggest factor), etc... All of these are going to be looked at by an officer review board to determine if you will become a good officer. I know of an individual that was picked up for STA-21 after being in my command for only 5 months but he was knocking out quals and had a strong backing from the CoC. Good Luck to you!

Tomodachi

pilot
In Yokosuka they offer it through PSD. The ESO (Education Service Officer) administers the test. Might want to check with them. As Kilroy said Navy College Officer is a good reference point too. Good luck in your quest!

jl08

pilot
One of the biggest considerations when applying for commissioning programs on the enlisted side is the CO's endorsement. Without a great endorsement from your CO you are unlikely to get picked up for a program and I have never seen anyone receive one from a training command. From my experience, these are not given out until the CoC has really had a chance to get to know you (quals, evals...) and in a training command you really don't have an opportunity to prove yourself. You will have plenty of time to take the ASTB during the process of putting your package together when you get to your first command as these things do not come together overnight.

I know from personal experience that it is intimidating trying to apply for commissioning programs from the E-side and while it is difficult it is not impossible if you want it bad enough. I ended up taking a different path than most in getting accepted but in the end I got it so don't give up. Good luck!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your NRD usually administers the ASTB. Contact them and you can take it through them. In my experience most CCC's are worthless when you ask them to do more than reenlistments and PTS paperwork...the onus is on you to get the work done. Don't be crippled by some other slack-ass...

Jl08 has a great point about the CO's letter...it makes all the difference.

Pickle

crazyaviatrix

Thanks for all the input. I really just want to get the test out of the way. Not only for my sanity but also because I was an airline pilot in the civilian world and then I got furloughed. My point being I'd like to take the test before I forget all my aviation knowledge. It's my understanding the test is good for 2 years so taking it while I am sitting around doing nothing seems to be the most productive route. As for putting my packed together I will wait till my next command. It is my understanding if you apply you forfeit PCS orders and staying at GL any longer than necessary seems like a hellish idea. That is if I ever class up for A school, I've been on old since July and I'm not getting any younger...

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Unless its changed there is no limit other than maximum number of times you are allowed to take the exam. I took the exam sometime in 2004 and was selected for STA-21 FY-08. That was back when it was on paper though so not sure if the rules changed.

They established the three test limit back in mid-2004. I was thinking about taking it while still in college, but didn't have the time and would have just been blowing one of my chances at a good score.