• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Taking leave in college?

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
How does leave work since we're not actually working? Do we still earn it and use it at the breaks between classes, winter break, etc? Is there enough of it to cover those breaks? What happens if you run out?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Active duty members earn 30 days of leave per year. As long as you are on active duty, you will earn it. Depending on the unit, the requirement to take leave if you are out of town for a certain number of days can be pretty lax. Or it can be pretty hard core. It depends on the CO of the unit. Typically, there is absolutely no need to take leave during breaks between classes unless you are going to be out of town for an extended period of time. The likely scenario is you'll have to check in one or two times during the week or even phone muster daily. Others may have had more extreme units, but I would expect that to be the exception and not the rule.

If you are using 30 days of leave while you're in school full time, you're doing something wrong.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
How does leave work since we're not actually working? Do we still earn it and use it at the breaks between classes, winter break, etc? Is there enough of it to cover those breaks? What happens if you run out?

It depends on your school and chain of command like mentioned already. My ROTC unit requires us (prior enlisted Navy and Marine Corps) to come in to "work" from 0800-1200 on weekdays that we don't have class. We usually don't end up staying the entire time but since we are active duty they are accountable for us and therefore require us to show up. We get a 4 day weekend for Christmas and New Years but the rest of our holiday break we are required to show up. I'm starting leave after our last 4 day weekend and not ending it until the first day of class. Showing up at 0800 and only working for 4 hours (at the most) is nothing to complain about but I figure we might as well use our leave somewhere then let it go to waste. Check with your school/future school on its particular policy concerning leave and holidays.

navy09

None
OP- get in touch with some Officer Candidates (active duty Navy guys) at the college you're going to. This is a unit/ CO dependent thing.

At my school, they usually had to take leave if traveling outside a ~150 mile radius of the school. Whenever we had longer breaks, all active duty came in and face mustered Wednesday mornings, call-in mustered the rest of the weekdays. Pretty sweet deal.

EmilyRose

I can't find another thread that sort of goes with my question, so maybe you guys can answer....

My husband is up to take the 1st class test in March (I think, I get the cycles confused). He will be at NSI from Feb-April. Will he be able to take the test or will he have to wait til the next time it is given? (September?) Sorry, I know I'm not very articulate, but he is on deployment and the internet on the ship is slow so he thought I might be able to get an answer faster than him. Thanks! :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be surprised if he wasn't given the opportunity to take the exam. The Navy is pretty serious about ensuring sailors have the opportunities to advance.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I can't find another thread that sort of goes with my question, so maybe you guys can answer....

My husband is up to take the 1st class test in March (I think, I get the cycles confused). He will be at NSI from Feb-April. Will he be able to take the test or will he have to wait til the next time it is given? (September?) Sorry, I know I'm not very articulate, but he is on deployment and the internet on the ship is slow so he thought I might be able to get an answer faster than him. Thanks! :)

He will take it during NSI, as will everybody else who is eligible there with him.

OC/EMC

Tell your husband...

Have your husband talk to his command Educational Services Officer (ESO) and make sure he/she forwards your husband's first class exam to NSI/Newport. ESO's can easily drop the ball on this and it can cause a lot more headaches for him when he tries to take it in Newport. As a former ESO, this thing needs to be brought up now so that the proper communications can be made while he is on deployment. I would also highly recommend he make a copy of his last three evals and all of his awards. Bring these with him to Newport. It will be very valuable to him if for some reason they do not get his exam ordered.