• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TACCO and forward observer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
I have a few questions about the responsibilities of NFO's (Marines, but Navy throw in your .02):

1) What is the job of an NFO as a TACCO?

2) Are NFO's ever on the ground as forward observers for airstrikes? (I could be completely making this up? :confused: )

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1-TACCOs are Navy P-3 NFOs. Marine NFOs man F-18Ds and EA-6Bs.

2-Yes, NFOs may serve on the ground as FACs the same as pilots. FOs are artillery, FACs are air though if you are good enough you usually end up doing the Arty guys job for him too.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
Now as a FAC, is it right up on the front lines where you are pretty much taking cover with your radio and popping a couple rounds down field? Or can you pop a lawn chair and drink a beer and watch the pretty planes stroll on in?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well are you in Combat or not?
In combat you are where you need to be to see wher the friendlies are and where the aviation ordinance needs to go (this might involve some ducking). You will be too busy to send your own rounds down range but will do much more with a few words.
In training bring a lawn chair wear really funky sunglasses (grunts love that) pull a gatoraide from the cooler and say cleared hot.
A beer is pushing it they will have your wings for bombs on friendlies on the ground jsut as fast as they would if you were flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
In training bring a lawn chair wear really funky sunglasses (grunts love that)
Reminds me of my deployment to Iwakuni. Just about everyone in the readyroom (including the front office) had Oakleys or some such thing. As you can imagine, many of the ground pounder Marines there went ape sh!t when they saw us stylin' around base. I'd usually just smile or wave and say, "How's it goin', shipmate?" It's fun to piss off Marines about sh!t like that. :D

Good times,

Brett

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a great picture of me with one of the Companies with a green apinted face (they made me) and uridium lensed sunglasses (I had to wear them to prperly judge attack headings)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
I have a great picture of me with one of the Companies with a green apinted face (they made me) and uridium lensed sunglasses (I had to wear them to prperly judge attack headings)
Of course ;) I love it!

Good times,

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy side, there is always the ANGLICO (air naval gun fire liaison) job, for pilots, NFOs or SWOs. Knew a couple guys that had the ANGLICO gig in the reserves. Both recalled for Desert Storm. One (the SWO) got to call in the big guns of the USS Missouri. Said it was the highlight of his career.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
Navy side, there is always the ANGLICO (air naval gun fire liaison) job, for pilots, NFOs or SWOs. Knew a couple guys that had the ANGLICO gig in the reserves. Both recalled for Desert Storm. One (the SWO) got to call in the big guns of the USS Missouri. Said it was the highlight of his carrer.

AWESOME!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The dude that worked with Big Mo was in a few scenes of a History Channel documentary on Desert Storm. He is the guy in cammies that hadn't taken a shower in three weeks hunched over a chart briefing the Big Mo's Gunnery Officer. He said that all he could think of was finishing the brief so he could take a shower and get some good (!!) Navy chow before heloing back into the desert.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im not saying it doesnt happen but I have not heard of Navy Naval Aviators (like that?) going to ANGLICO only NGLOs. Anglico has gone through a couple fo changes recently and is continueing to evolve so it might happen but I think it is mostly a Marine Aviator club. The NGLO from my Battalion is going there soon, he is a CWO and one of the most competent and generally sh!thot offiers I ahve ever worked with.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I said, those guys were Desert Storm, over ten years ago. Since then I know ANGLICO has been through some changes. In fact, I heard they were even going away at one point. Then I read a debrief of early OIF and OEF and it said the ANGLICO/NGLOs were indispensable. It may just a reserve gig now like VR flying and MIUW (or whatever they call that now). The west coast Reserve ANGILCO guys used to be in Long Beach. Anyone see those guys lately, or is that another part of my Navy gone to Davy Jones locker.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure about teh REserves or even if they still exist. Anglico became MLE for a little while though they are coming back. I have worked withe them a lot and have a firend who is an Arty guy there now Ill ask about Blue side guys and the reserves and see what he says.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, I'd like to know. If it is a Reserve gig then it is something we can mention on the Rserve forum as a possible job for the more hearty among us.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a buddy at ANGLICO no Navy Aviators are there active or Reserve, NGLOs only. Long Beach is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.