• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tablet vs Laptop on deployment (kids these days I know)

jugg34naut

pilot
Your story is suspect and un VP like...

Therefore one must conclude your wife is making you buy a minivan...

You are wizened beyond years.

I want the very gaudy, completely impractical, gas guzzling, 50 ish thousand dollar beast of the 2017 Ford Raptor.

The logic was to make a substantial down payment so the wife didn't have to see a 900$ payment go out the door for a truck. I was going to try and pay about half (not all of which would be deployment money but from savings).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did a 5th Fleet (Bahrain) mob last year - living in a condo, etc - so probably about like what you'll do in the Med. I had an ipad and a MacBook Air and used both pretty regularly; I think just going tablet would've been a hassle.

iPad Pro, maybe? Add a Bluetooth keyboard and you'd be able to do most all things you would with a laptop.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
MacBook it dude, mine has gone everywhere for the last few years. Anything tabletish(?) I've wanted to do over the years I just accomplished with my iPhone. I don't think you'll be that pressed for saving space and weight with a tablet.

hscs

pilot
The logic was to make a substantial down payment so the wife didn't have to see a 900$ payment go out the door for a truck. I was going to try and pay about half (not all of which would be deployment money but from savings).
Don't know if you can link up with Ford to purchase the vehicle while deployed. Think they have competitive prices but I have never dealt with them.

Also, 0% down offers charge a low double digit charge/ 1k financed per month if done via car company. That in my mind does not equal 0%.

So, it may be better to save for the down payment and get either tablet or laptop.

zenryo

As a sub guy I had my laptop (big ol gaming one) and a kindle. Kindle is kind of obsolete now but a tablet with the amazon kindle app is perfect for an underway library. The laptop for the...umm...videos.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Most folks I've talked to who had the Surface thought it was neither a good tablet nor good laptop.

Edit: It may be discontinued. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/surface-3-stocks-dwindling-as-microsoft-plans-systems-demise/
Yeah, Surface is not Surface Pro. Surface Pro is a serious machine. Surface is like an iPad with a keyboard.

Most people I know that actually have Surface Pros strongly recommend them to friends/associates. I think our battalion is responsible for a spike in sales itself. You see Surface Pros everywhere.

But if you don't know what the difference is, you should probably just get an iPad. If you want something that can drive 2 extra monitors, has built in miracast, built in USB, capability to run real MS Office apps, desktop apps, etc...get a Surface Pro or Surface Book, or other windows based 2-in-1 or laptop. No, its not a real gaming laptop, but if that is what you are looking for, a tablet isn't in the running anyway. In fact, most laptops are poor at real gaming.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
+1 on Surface Pro. Stay the f*ck away from Surface. If you are international, Google Pixel C tablet is very nice - though pricey at $600 US plus!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
But if you don't know what the difference is, you should probably just get an iPad. If you want something that can drive 2 extra monitors, has built in miracast, built in USB, capability to run real MS Office apps, desktop apps, etc...get a Surface Pro or Surface Book, or other windows based 2-in-1 or laptop. No, its not a real gaming laptop, but if that is what you are looking for, a tablet isn't in the running anyway. In fact, most laptops are poor at real gaming.

To each their own. I want the App Store, ForeFlight moving map/approach plates (worth it for this alone), tons of iPad games, MS Office for iPad, built in LTE/GPS, tons of 3rd party accessories, and beyond.

Python

pilot
Contributor
To each their own. I want the App Store, ForeFlight moving map/approach plates (worth it for this alone), tons of iPad games, MS Office for iPad, built in LTE/GPS, tons of 3rd party accessories, and beyond.

I'd argue the same, except Wing X Pro 7 instead of Foreflight. It is free for military and has the same functionality.