• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T6B Instructional Videos on YouTube

NavyDad82

Some solid GoPro videos from T6B cockpit now up on YouTube. They have course rules, forms, aero, and break and landing videos. The music is lame but there is prompting for radio calls and hand signals (during forms). Would have been clutch to have 'back in my day' but I just selected.

On YouTube search for: IJTRL and click that username. All their videos can be found on the page. I didn't shoot the videos and those who did had permission.

Great icon! Last time I saw something like that was during the Boston Bruins run through the NHL in the early 70's. There was a great saying! "Jesus saves but Esposito scores on the rebound!"

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Some extra (4?) instrument flights using the HUD and HI Approaches. Students only completed it if they selected Strike. They tested it by only sending half the studs through it, and then comparing them to the studs who didn't do after their instrument check (or in most cases, instrument check failure) in Intermediate.

The idea was the Strike Top-off guys got 4 less flights in Intermediate than regular guys, and it hurt them badly...I think they've stopped doing it, but I could be wrong. If they haven't stopped doing it in Primary, I think the jet VTs have just stopped paying attention to whether or not you went through it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Some extra (4?) instrument flights using the HUD and HI Approaches. Students only completed it if they selected Strike. They tested it by only sending half the studs through it, and then comparing them to the studs who didn't do after their instrument check (or in most cases, instrument check failure) in Intermediate.

The idea was the Strike Top-off guys got 4 less flights in Intermediate than regular guys, and it hurt them badly...I think they've stopped doing it, but I could be wrong. If they haven't stopped doing it in Primary, I think the jet VTs have just stopped paying attention to whether or not you went through it.

As said, we don't do it anymore. All students get a waiver for the strike top off. The syllabus for it requires students to fly approaches, holding, etc. using T-45 speeds and configuration procedures (while below 10k). There is also a formation strike top off that is waived for all students. The idea was to take some flights out of the more expensive T-45 and put them in the T-6. Students were supposed to stay at their primary squadron after selecting T1/T2 and complete the "intermediate" syllabus before leaving for Kingsville or Meridian. Like you said it didn't work out. While good in theory, if they don't make everyone do it then it's going to hurt those that do.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the lack of partial panel in the T-6, flying a swept wing aircraft in the landing configuration, the T-45's ability to climb (guys were blowing through alts), and the concept of slowing down to 250 kts...guys were getting behind. Turns out those four flights made a big difference.

Erin M.

pilot
It seemed common for the "top-off" guys to gather a few unsats in intermediate during the instrument syllabus.