• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B (Glass Cockpit) Texan II PC Flight Simulator?

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I've been on the lookout for a quality T-6B flight simulator, specifically one that I can load NAS CC for scenery. After a lot of research it looks like X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Simulator would be my best bet. The problem is, I can only find downloadable content for the T-6A, NOT the T-6B. All the T-6 simulators I can find aren't the glass cockpit similar to the ones in the Bravo.

I was hoping to use it for familiarization with the cockpit, checklist, and just getting a general feel of the CC area while in flight. I may be completely off for what I'm wanting to use this for, so if that's the case please steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I did eventually see that in my research. I think I'm going to buy Prepar3d and then get the T-6b/c with the Corpus scenery. I'm at the Boathouse right now but I'm not spending all my time here. Practicing on sims is fun to me, and if not (as a stud) you should reevaluate your career choice.

Oorah gents.

Sonog

pilot
I did eventually see that in my research. I think I'm going to buy Prepar3d and then get the T-6b/c with the Corpus scenery. I'm at the Boathouse right now but I'm not spending all my time here. Practicing on sims is fun to me, and if not (as a stud) you should reevaluate your career choice.

Oorah gents.

Sims suck

WEGL12

VT-28

Oorah gents.
If you are already in Corpus, why don't you just find someone that's classed up and do a profsit with them? It free and is the actual t6 cockpit and controls.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Do they still have all those "low-cost trainers" in one of the classrooms? I used those back in my Primary days to great effect, especially during RIs.

Chris_USMC

Do they still have all those "low-cost trainers" in one of the classrooms? I used those back in my Primary days to great effect, especially during RIs.

Yeah, there are still several static trainers in the simulator bay. Perfect for familiarizing yourself with the checklists, practicing EPs, etc.

Napper

Diggin' the PNW
pilot
Google earth has a flight sim mode if you want a free way of checking out hi-res landmarks/course rules from the side. I used it in advanced for low level/road recce's, and that's about all I've ever wanted a non-scheduled sim for. Most if not all checklists get verbalized early on, so being able to verbalize what you're doing quickly/smoothly (getting a good flow) and knowing what you're looking for should suffice.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, there are still several static trainers in the simulator bay. Perfect for familiarizing yourself with the checklists, practicing EPs, etc.

Thanks, but not quite what I meant. When I went through Corpus, we had several PC-based flight simulators in a room with basic center-stick and rudder pedals set up as much like a T-34 as they could get for a couple of grand apiece. They were actually really good for flying RI sim profiles ahead of time, and basically what this guy is looking for. I've seen some proprietary setups for the T-6 that were similar, albeit limited to avionics setup and not much else. Based on your response, I surmise that low-cost instrument trainers no longer exist.

Chris_USMC

Thanks, but not quite what I meant. When I went through Corpus, we had several PC-based flight simulators in a room with basic center-stick and rudder pedals set up as much like a T-34 as they could get for a couple of grand apiece. They were actually really good for flying RI sim profiles ahead of time, and basically what this guy is looking for. I've seen some proprietary setups for the T-6 that were similar, albeit limited to avionics setup and not much else. Based on your response, I surmise that low-cost instrument trainers no longer exist.

In addition to the static sims there are two other types of sims. One is the Operational Flight Trainer (OFT). The OFT is a full sim with fully working cockpit and all-around visuals beamed against the walls in glorious 60 frames per second. Then there's the Unit Training Device (I think?). The UTD has all the bells and whistles of an OFT except without any outside visuals. So essentially it's a working cockpit hooked up to the same (-ish) computer system as an OFT.