• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Advanced (JAPT)

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
It's hard to imagine them making or even offering an SNA go SERGRAD with all the hurry to get dudes to the FRS. That said, hours are hours and the T-6 was a hell of a ride.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like CNATRA is hurting for IPs right now. They're also pulling dudes from the fleet with prior T-45 IP quals on 180 day TAD orders back to the VT-Js.

Guessing this is maybe to give dudes something to do if they select Strike and there's a large pool due to the T-45 engine issues. The SERGRAD concept works well in the T-45, but I think putting two dudes with significantly less experience together in a T-6 is asking for trouble.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
The best case scenario in my mind is somehow pairing up SERGRAD’d jet selectors with studs already on TAP or with prior flight time. Otherwise yeah, you’re inviting Mr. Murphy to the airplane.

hdr777

pilot
4.5 solo hours, for advanced students who will go on to be instructors in essentially a single seat aircraft. I assume there's still a fitu or something after this?

jointhelocalizer

pilot
4.5 solo hours, for advanced students who will go on to be instructors in essentially a single seat aircraft. I assume there's still a fitu or something after this?
That is what I am thinking. I'm assuming this will get SNAs their wings quicker and they'll head to the FITU and do either the full or an abridged IUT syllabus.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The AF has done the FAIP thing forever with no significant problems, so it’s not a insurmountable hurdle. I would assume the Navy will put the SERGRADs through a FITU before turning them loose with the studs.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Also a decent option for NFO to PFI types. I believe right now those dudes technically have to wing somewhere prior to teaching in primary, kind of a waste of resources. Good fix.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Also a decent option for NFO to PFI types. I believe right now those dudes technically have to wing somewhere prior to teaching in primary, kind of a waste of resources. Good fix.
NFO to PFI? Is that some sort of amalgam of the NFO to Pilot and PFI programs?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Ah, Marine program. Gotcha. Now THAT seems like a good deal!

Every once in a while we do something cool. The six year payback would presumably be essentially homesteading in Corpus/Whiting - plenty of time to pump those hours. Not too shabby at all!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Every once in a while we do something cool. The six year payback would presumably be essentially homesteading in Corpus/Whiting - plenty of time to pump those hours. Not too shabby at all!
There are far worse places to homestead..

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's hard to imagine them making or even offering an SNA go SERGRAD with all the hurry to get dudes to the FRS. That said, hours are hours and the T-6 was a hell of a ride.
CNAF is even more of a hurry to get people through the TRACOM bottleneck. FWIW, they just put out an APB for anyone with T-45 IP experience, regardless of rank or currency, for what’s looking like an extended TDY situation. Kinda like an IA to Corpus.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The AF has done the FAIP thing forever with no significant problems, so it’s not a insurmountable hurdle. I would assume the Navy will put the SERGRADs through a FITU before turning them loose with the studs.

The MCG says they'll do the FITU as a follow on. In the T-45, you do an abbreviated FITU syllabus as a SERGRAD, it wouldn't surprise me if they institute a similar waiver for the T-6 SERGRADs.

This may be an incorrect assumption, but don't FAIPs do the full T-38 or T-1 syllabus before going back as a T-6 IP? I.e. they're not pulling dudes out of the pipeline right after finishing T-6's and making them IPs (which it seems like the Navy syllabus would do).

CNAF is even more of a hurry to get people through the TRACOM bottleneck. FWIW, they just put out an APB for anyone with T-45 IP experience, regardless of rank or currency, for what’s looking like an extended TDY situation. Kinda like an IA to Corpus.

I am unfortunately one of those guys in LAR (as is my Skipper). It sounds like the fleet is trying to push the burden off to the FRSes as much as possible. Who would have thought that a bunch of guys would suddenly be scrambling to stay in Lemoore...