• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Comm/Nav

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What's the Comm/Nav package on the Navy T-6s? Is it off-the-shelf, like a Garmin-based suite, or a military system?

Duc'-guy25

pilot

I believe the B model has a version of this.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not a Garmin. The Esterline above seems 95% right, but no cool moving map on the left MFD. Anyway, 3 MFDs, Full FMS with GPS/ILS/VORDME (No TACAN). Basic route map and tactical display, but no moving map like a chart or anything. Honestly it's pretty legit, only thing I'd really want is WAAS GPS to do LPV approaches. People bitch about no TACAN, but VOR/DME is the same skillset.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I never could find the trade name for it in the NATOPS manual, like how the TH-57 manual says this unit is a King KNS-81, etc.

I think the FMS uses the Jeppesen Americas database but there are some high altitude approaches missing in there. The FMS does SIDS, STARS, approaches, and enroute, wind vector, TCAS, and a few other things like a big boy avionics suite. There are a few big things that it doesn't do- fuel computations and vertical nav come to mind, but overall it's a very good system for its intended purpose.

The LNAV-only non-WAAS GPS is kinda outdated and I doubt we actually saved any money with that choice. It's the GPS receiver, not the FMS per se. The FMS wouldn't know or care if you fly to LNAV-VNAV or LPV mins instead and it doesn't know what you set in the altitude bug.

Strangely, the avionics suite doesn't include display outside air temperature or TAT, which is a couple of pretty dumbass things to omit in an airplane that is approved for some icing. The avionics suite has a TAT sensor and it knows what that and SAT is at all times, and it does display TAS and Mach. But instead of just having it displayed, you have to borrow the T2 temperature from the engine display and then fumble around with a temperature correction chart in the pocket checklist. At least the page number is easy to remember, it's page "P-8." (I would have called it page "HSL" just as easily.)

Thank you for giving me an opening for another one of my retired guy rants.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a side note it’s funny to me that of all things it’s the E-2’s that have a General Aviation Garmin GNS-530 with full WAAS & LPV capability as well as - wait for it - ILS/Localizer...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I never could find the trade name for it in the NATOPS manual, like how the TH-57 manual says this unit is a King KNS-81, etc.

I think the FMS uses the Jeppesen Americas database but there are some high altitude approaches missing in there. The FMS does SIDS, STARS, approaches, and enroute, wind vector, TCAS, and a few other things like a big boy avionics suite. There are a few big things that it doesn't do- fuel computations and vertical nav come to mind, but overall it's a very good system for its intended purpose.

The LNAV-only non-WAAS GPS is kinda outdated and I doubt we actually saved any money with that choice. It's the GPS receiver, not the FMS per se. The FMS wouldn't know or care if you fly to LNAV-VNAV or LPV mins instead and it doesn't know what you set in the altitude bug.

Strangely, the avionics suite doesn't include display outside air temperature or TAT, which is a couple of pretty dumbass things to omit in an airplane that is approved for some icing. The avionics suite has a TAT sensor and it knows what that and SAT is at all times, and it does display TAS and Mach. But instead of just having it displayed, you have to borrow the T2 temperature from the engine display and then fumble around with a temperature correction chart in the pocket checklist. At least the page number is easy to remember, it's page "P-8." (I would have called it page "HSL" just as easily.)

Thank you for giving me an opening for another one of my retired guy rants.

Does it have DOD approaches or just Jeppesen?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Does it have DOD approaches or just Jeppesen?
It's got mil and civil approaches.

When there is a procedure turn then I remember seeing a waypoint, for when to star the turn, that was named some funky abbreviation like what you'd see on a Jepp plate. I never compared anything with the database side-by-side with a Jepp plate though. I always had the hardcopy from the squadron (obviously), either DoD plates or U.S. TERPS, or basically the same thing in electronic format on my iPad (government plates on WingX) once we started to be allowed to bring those.

I'm not trying to steer you wrong about where the nav database comes from. I can't remember what gave me the idea that it was Jeppesen in there and it's been a while.