• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45C Camo colors....

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You use the nav lights during the rendezvous and when you get close enough the wingmans strobe and a-coll are bright enough to illuminate lead. It's actually pretty easy. I mostly talked about sports with the ip when I was dualed up on those flights.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Seems to me the Training Command exists to train students in the basics of ACM, BFM, or whatever the latest term is in vogue. Once the students get to the RAG they can begin to train for the real world. What good does it do for the student to lose sight just because of a fancy, cool, paint scheme and lose valuable training time. I remember too many times spending valuable seconds trying talk the student's eyes onto the bogey. Wouldn't it be better to see and be seen at all times, analyze the moves of the wily bogey, and counter those moves? And better yet, get an early tally and use the classroom-taught maneuvers to move in position for a valid kill? And is the availability that good these days to be able to dedicate 10 aircraft to tactics syllabus flights only? I'm with Bunk. Paint all the jets the retro-yellow color and be the standout at airshows. But, oh, I almost forgot. I'm retired. Who cares.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You use the nav lights during the rendezvous and when you get close enough the wingmans strobe and a-coll are bright enough to illuminate lead. It's actually pretty easy. I mostly talked about sports with the ip when I was dualed up on those flights.

Yep, I fly night forms and it's bright enough in close.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Seems to me the Training Command exists to train students in the basics of ACM, BFM, or whatever the latest term is in vogue. Once the students get to the RAG they can begin to train for the real world. What good does it do for the student to lose sight just because of a fancy, cool, paint scheme and lose valuable training time. I remember too many times spending valuable seconds trying talk the student's eyes onto the bogey. Wouldn't it be better to see and be seen at all times, analyze the moves of the wily bogey, and counter those moves? And better yet, get an early tally and use the classroom-taught maneuvers to move in position for a valid kill? And is the availability that good these days to be able to dedicate 10 aircraft to tactics syllabus flights only? I'm with Bunk. Paint all the jets the retro-yellow color and be the standout at airshows. But, oh, I almost forgot. I'm retired. Who cares.

The entire purpose of the new paint scheme is so you CAN keep sight/ID which one is the bandit in a 2v fight.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
While that is all good and well, once they get to Hornets, a good %age of the time they will still need to figure out what Hornet is good and which one is bad. Might get lucky in the RAG and do those flights against F-5's (I did), but it's not like the problem is suddenly solved after leaving the VT's.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Having all the jets painted the same in 3 plane ACM forces the studs to talk and fly, describing which jet the bandit is in a very dynamic environment... what kind of bullshit alibi would it be when one of the few camo bandit dedicated jets goes down and the bandit is now in an orange and white one...."Uh, I shot my wingman cuz he looked the same as the bandit".... why did you shoot then if you weren't absolutelly sure??????

We instituted the 4x7 g-warm while I was there because Top Gun "said so", we had zero g-locs before it, we had more incomplete flights after it due to the gas it took. I saw the 'new' ACM FTI... There was very little wrong with the 'old' acm syllabus, very very basic fighter maneuvers... Folks continuously try to pretend the T-45 is a grey jet, it aint, don't paint it so. Top Gun smurf catching should never have entered into the TRACOM beyond the very basics (turn circle bubble entry, early late nailed, etc etc etc...). After 2100 hours in the goosehawk in 4.5 years, I'd leave the damned paint alone. (pretty sure the maintainers will see it this way too)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The idea of a camouflage paint scheme to make something more visible is funny in itself. There are plenty of schemes to make something stand out more that aren't "cool." Hell, paint it 100% orange.

Orange "camouflage" markings would be kinda interesting, even more so if the orange was in the zig-zag outline breaking camo.

All camo markings tend to distort outlines and make things harder to see.

If standing out is the goal, can't beat the polka-dots in the earlier picture, though!

Flugelman

Contributor
I say yellow!

2865.jpg

What goes around comes around...

N3n.jpg