• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Reservist was a P-3 bubba?

ReadySetRoll13

pilot
Hey all, long time stalker but first time poster here. I recently spoke with someone who is a T-45 IP that came from the P-3 community who is now flying for Southwest, because he was time crunched I didn't ask him what he did in order to get that lined up. From the research I've done, it's a good bet that he's probably an FTS IP for those guys in Kingsville but could be wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am guessing that you mean he is a reservist (SELRES) flying the T-45 vice FTS. FTS is a full time gig that would not be compatible with being a Southwest pilot.

As to how to do it? Network, network, network, and apply for the job; The VTR units at the VTJ bases are always looking for folks.

ReadySetRoll13

pilot
I am guessing that you mean he is a reservist (SELRES) flying the T-45 vice FTS. FTS is a full time gig that would not be compatible with being a Southwest pilot.

As to how to do it? Network, network, network, and apply for the job; The VTR units at the VTJ bases are always looking for folks.

Yes he did mention something about SELRES, sorry for mixing. Any idea on what those guys, who were other than tailhook pilots, do for VTJ (i.e. flying RI's, ccx's)?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's dependent on how much the SELRES is available to fly, how well they do, and their motivation. Other than the CQ stuff, any qual is possible for a SELRES from a non-boat background over time (some quals would happen sooner than others).

The VTJ SELRES units have all flavors of aviators (USN, MC, AF, etc). One unit is even Commanded by a former AF U-2 pilot who came over to Navy SELRES.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Updated the thread title for a little more accurate description of the question. So...now that that's done...I'll live in Meridian or Kingsville to get some T-45 time! Just sayin'.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I went to ASO school with a guy who was a VP(VQ?) guy who was a VT(j) guy. He had been a hornet FRS attrite before his big wing time so I think those resume bullets got him the T-45 job.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
its not unheard of for a VTJ squadron to have one VP guy onboard. We also get E-6 guys. The reality is, most of them do just fine instructing in Phase 1 stuff and most end up with several Phase 2 quals too. Without the folks from the E-2/C-2 & other big wing communities, the VTJ squadrons would not be able to function.

ReadySetRoll13

pilot
its not unheard of for a VTJ squadron to have one VP guy onboard. We also get E-6 guys. The reality is, most of them do just fine instructing in Phase 1 stuff and most end up with several Phase 2 quals too. Without the folks from the E-2/C-2 & other big wing communities, the VTJ squadrons would not be able to function.

Very interesting, had no idea until now. Thanks for the info

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I know a former P-3 guy turned T-45 SelRes who flies for Southwest. He got orders to Kingsville to be a T-45 instructor when he was on active duty. He got out of the Navy ~7 years ago and went SelRes, drilling in Kingsville. He was hired by SW 5-6 years ago. He flew first phase (Intermediate) stuff.

S/F

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There's an instructor in Meridian who's SELRES, airline pilot, and sim instructor. He also was a P-3 guy.