• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 Cross Country and Ops questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnj

I was wondering how long cross country flights are in the T-45? Do you have a choice in where you fly? Also, for Meridian and/or Kingsville, are the practice areas (MOAs) close to the air stations, or some distance away- like over the Gulf of Mexico? Thank you.

petescheu

1) As many legs as they let you have- usually about 6. You can almost go anywhere in the country.
2) For K-Rok pretty much you turn right/left after takeoff and 2 mins later you are in the MOA. Not sure how Meridian runs it.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
of course, right now in K-rock, the only civilian field we're allowed to go to is El Paso

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Here are a few numbers for you, the 45 holds ~ 3,000 pounds of gas, burns 3-500 to get to altitude and then a typical enroute setting would be ~1200 PPH holding 3-400 TAS depending on how high you go.
Allowing for reserves, and the approaches you have to do on a CCX, 650 miles is the max you could hope for in one leg (with 50 kt tailwinds). In a typical training phase, you could hope for 4-6 legs, on which you have to complete so many approaches, etc…
An instructor that wants to get somewhere will grab the stud, and say hey, guess what. Otherwise, you can piece something together and sell an instructor on why they should take you to wherever. There isn’t a set method to the madness.
Meridian is surrounded by a few MOAs, the 45 doesn’t have gas to waste, your in and out before you have a chance to catch your breath.

dcnj

Thanks

Thanks, folks. I just thought of one new question based on the information you provided. What is the T-45s maximum speed and max cruise speed in knots or mach? I realize for efficiency reasons it would make no sense to cruise at these speeds. Thanks.

petescheu

Mach 1.02 or something at 90 deg nose down and MRT... good luck.
Cruising depends on if you fly EGT or PPH. Flying EGT about M .76 or so. 1100 PPH about M .71. That's at FL390-410 though... depends on you altitude.

Jedj

Good questions. the cruise mach number really depends on the lenghth of the leg you are flying. if you have gas to spare then the throttle will come up more. ive cruised at .85 before, on shorter legs. out of kingsville you can pretty much make it anywhere you want to go on 6 legs, and if the student needs a bunch of approaches then you have to game the gas a little bit more. I have flown some pretty long legs with actually a little headwind and landed with a good amount of gas to spare, its all in the fuel planning and management. now if only there was decent room for baggage without strapping on a blivet.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'm planning a cross country this weekend....is there any place to put about 2 book bags worth of gear without carrying the blivet? Someone said I wouldn't need one so I didn't request it on the X-country Request, but now I'm having my doubts (can't remember any compartments other than the battery compartment that will hold any gear).

airwinger

pilot
DCNJ In VT-7 the unofficial policy is that IP's can't make you go somewhere for a weekend cross country unless you want to go there, so you'll find yourself regretfully refusing to go to Peoria for a fun soaked weekend. However if you don't pick someone out, they'll send you on out and ins and you have no choice in those.

JBoomer Usually maintenance can put up a blivet in 30 minutes. Unless you plan on cruising past 360IAS or hitting the break at 4 bills then taking the blivet is a good idea, otherwise you'll be FODding the cockpit with your boxers.

We used fuel flow almost exlusively on my two X-C's, one to canada and one to Key West via corpus christi, meridian, and gainesville:)

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Got canked today, so doesn't matter anyway. Banned to a life of out and in's unless I can get someone in line for next weekend....

goldwingdreams

Random Question:
I saw a T-45 on the ramp at KTUS a couple months back. If El Paso is as far west as one might dare to go, how did it get all the way out here? Off to carrier quals or something?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
check-your-six said:
Random Question:
I saw a T-45 on the ramp at KTUS a couple months back. If El Paso is as far west as one might dare to go, how did it get all the way out here? Off to carrier quals or something?

we go out to vegas all the time :tongue2_1

Status
Not open for further replies.