• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-39 Down

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fannin County Sheriff spokesman said: "We got reports that it was flying pretty low ...The plane had flown north-northeast over the nearby town of Blue Ridge before it went down about 4:40 p.m."

Obviously daylight. Does that mean it was on a low level -- is there a low level route in that area??

What is the 'normal' make-up of a T-39 crew w/ 4 souls aboard ... i.e., a pilot (2 pilots?), an NFO instructor, 2 STUDs ... ???

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Contract pilot, Instructor NFO, and one student usually. A fourth (or more) crewmember can range from students to observers to flight docs, pax, etc. I wasn't at VT-86, so don't hold me to this, but I think it was standard to either have two studs per sortie (swap seats mid-flight like in the T-44 or C-12 for pilots) or one sitting back there on a volunteer basis to observe a flight.

cagoodrich1953

Ancient F-4C/D Avionics Puke
Prayers for the crew and the families. My youngest is an NFO and she's still on edge wondering if she knew the folks on board. She left VT-86 about a year and a half ago.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fannin County Sheriff spokesman said: "We got reports that it was flying pretty low ...The plane had flown north-northeast over the nearby town of Blue Ridge before it went down about 4:40 p.m."

Obviously daylight. Does that mean it was on a low level -- is there a low level route in that area??

Yes, the VR-1055/1056/92 are all in that area. All typical routes for us to fly.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Thoughts and prayers for the families. It's been a rough FY for Naval Aviation so far.

GroundPounder

In the unlikely event that anyone effected would need an " in " with any of the local agencies, I have contacts with some of the local law enforcement in that area. I doubt that it would be necessary, but its there if anyone needs it.

T-man

Earned my wings last September as an NFO at VT-86. I knew the pilot and instructor that were on the flight, and have flown with both. I also knew 1 of the 2 students. They were on a low level for sure, most likely the VR-1055, 1056, or 92. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families. Its sobering to think that it could have been any one of us. I've been in contact with an instructor at VT-86 and per SOP, they are keeping a lid on things until a full investigation is completed. Which is good. No speculation. But man, what a gut check....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks for the info gents. This one really hits close to home per what I have heard..........crazy how fast someone can go from being a future FRS bud to a memory.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Contract pilot, Instructor NFO, and one student usually. A fourth (or more) crewmember can range from students to observers to flight docs, pax, etc. I wasn't at VT-86, so don't hold me to this, but I think it was standard to either have two studs per sortie (swap seats mid-flight like in the T-44 or C-12 for pilots) or one sitting back there on a volunteer basis to observe a flight.
And the usual cockpit arrangement is PIC in left seat, stud in right seat, INFO in jumpseat. Miscellaneous cats and dogs in back, who may or may not do the inflight Chinese fire drill seat swap depending on the syllabus event.