• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34a

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
So far no instrument time... just using the GPS.... I'll ask my instructor what we can work out... thanks for the advice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Anything different from what you are taught in primary will be a "bad habit" that you will have to break. How easy it is for you to break/change is up to you.

So true. The hardest part of the FITU is having to learn the Primary way...and that's for guys w/ 1K+ hours in the Navy/MC fleet.

@mules:

You must have been busy. I haven't seen you on here in forever.

Whalebite

People have been poisioned by the meat grinder that is primary. There is nothing wrong with flying to have fun and learn, if you enjoy it (flying can be fun) go for it.

winger

FNG
If you can get time in a T-34, I think it can't hurt. Check out this website and download the "Basic Instrument" (BI) Maneuvers FTI (Flight Training Instruction).

Like some other people have said, I'm sure the A handles a lot differently than the charlie model. As for the cockpit layout, you can get a good idea of the charlie's layout by looking here. That's a screenshot from the Microsim add-on for flight simulator that the Navy provides to you during primary.

If your cockpit looks anything like that, then, in my opinion, doing the basic instrument maneuvers found in the Instrument FTI would help in building your scan. (Again, I'm unaware of your level of familiarity with the terms- scan is the method in which you obtain information from your instruments... basically which instruments you look at, in what order... all explained in the FTI)

One thing you definitely should not worry too much about GPS approaches... you probably won't do them in the T-34, and definitely not in the T-45, should you go that route. The -34C *does,* however, have a KLN-900 GPS system installed, so concievably they could change the instrument syllabus to include GPS approaches. I can't speak, however, on the T-6 primary syllabus, as I was a -34 guy... it is entirely possible that you would do GPS approaches should you fly the T-6 in primary, since they lack a TACAN. Personally, I have my wings and am headed to the Hornet rag having never shot a GPS approach.

Hope some/any of this helps... I think you have a decent opportunity to not really develop your skill, but develop a certain degree of comfort and familiarity with the -34 in an instrument environment, so that you are that much more comfortable when you are sitting in a Navy trainer.

Don't kill yourself, but success is the product of preparation. People might give you a hard time about it because things like this are seemingly small pieces of the puzzle. However, when you make these little efforts in different areas, and sacrifice little bits of your time on multiple things like this, they will add up to an overall better state of preparedness when the time comes.

Good luck, have fun, and good on you for finding a way to better prepare yourself. 90% of this stuff is motivation-driven prep work.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One thing you definitely should not worry too much about GPS approaches... you probably won't do them in the T-34, and definitely not in the T-45, should you go that route. The -34C *does,* however, have a KLN-900 GPS system installed, so concievably they could change the instrument syllabus to include GPS approaches.

They did change the syllabus and GPS approaches are required in Primary.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
beach,

Thanks for the info man... definitely good gouge. The -A cockpit setup is somewhat similar to the pic that you sent me... I know I could definitely prepare on the instrument side. But yeah I'm fairly familiar with the terms and what not... I wish I could solo the -34A but they are requiring 200 hrs. total time and I'm only at around 120.

I'll send some of those maneuvers my instructors way and see if we can start practicing. This is definitely motivation driven... your post provided just what I was looking for... thanks.