• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34a

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I've been flying the A model out at March for a while now. Basically trying to get as much stick time as I can to prepare for Primary (I know I am definitely limited in what I can do). Now that we've gone through the basics... I was wondering what you gents would consider to be good preparation ... any specific maneuvers or sequences that I should be having my instructor grill me over? I'm not just doing it to prepare naturally...its just damn fun! Any comments would be much appreciated...

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
I was wondering what you gents would consider to be good preparation ... any specific maneuvers or sequences that I should be having my instructor grill me over?

*1. Fridge--OPEN
*2. Beer--SELECT

If beer has tab--
*3. Tab--PULL

Note: An audible pressure relief should be heard

If beer has a twist off cap--
*3. Cap--TWIST COUNTER CLOCKWISE

*4. Beer and time off--ENJOY

Warning: Failure to comply with all steps will
lead to burn out and attrition.

You will get PLENTY of flight time in primary and advanced. I would take this time now to just chill out. I had private pilot time when I went to primary and I thought it would help me out so much. It didn't. Just my opinion so take it as you will.

JIMMY

*1. Fridge--OPEN
*2. Beer--SELECT

If beer has tab--
*3. Tab--PULL

If beer has a twist off cap--
*3. Cap--TWIST COUNTER CLOCKWISE

*4. Beer and time off--ENJOY

Warning: Failure to comply with all steps will
lead to burn out and attrition.

Thats just awesome...

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I agree with midhusker. I had a PPL w/ 100+ hours going into Primary, and I was just as overwhelmed as my classmates in the beginning. The best thing you can do now is enjoy yourself with your civilian flying, because you probably won't be having too much fun in your first few flights in the T-34C. Just my .02...

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I had 780 hours going into primary and my first 4 fams sucked. A turboprop T-34 is going to behave a lot different then a piston model (i have flown both). Everything other then basic airwork will be different then civilian flying too. If you want to work on something, sit in the back, put a bag over you, and fly instruments (somebody should probably be in the front....).

invertedflyer

well the advantage of belonging to a military club is that my instructors are military... so I'm not learning any bad habits... I figured that the standard "enjoy life, drink beer" outlook would be discussed... and believe me theres plenty of that... However, talking to a couple Navy pilots that I met they said that just getting used to the configuration of the T-34 and doing some basic maneuvers would give me somewhat of an advantage on my FAM flights. So.. I figured I might be able to do some work to ease the transition... I know theres no way to truly prepare for it as the -C has twice the HP of the -A ... but hopefully I won't be completely lost =).

Thanks for the advice.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
well the advantage of belonging to a military club is that my instructors are military... so I'm not learning any bad habits....
Not necessarily true. Are you learning the Navy way? The Air Force way? That individual pilot's way?

Anything different from what you are taught in primary will be a "bad habit" that you will have to break. How easy it is for you to break/change is up to you.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
....and in summation....Quit trying to cram for primary...There will be plenty of opportunities for cramming once primary has begun.

THE END

:D

invertedflyer

The main instructor was Navy, the large emphasis is on emergency procedures, knowing the T-34A systems, basic chandelles, spins etc., ... I'm not stressing over learning everything... just asking about what might be helpful for the transition.

....and in summation....Quit trying to cram for primary...There will be plenty of opportunities for cramming once primary has begun.

I can only afford to fly about twice per month bro... hardly qualifies as cramming.... and mostly I do it because its just a helluvalot more fun that flying a cessna... =)

invertedflyer

Odd....thought I only had 3....

Its a Marine thing scoobs. =)

better be careful to not pull more than 1.01 g's in those model a's....

No kidding man... we can't pull more than 2.5 --- great airplane but those limitations are a serious pain... all because someone decided to pull an enormous amount of Gs and rip off the wings down in Texas ...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Are you getting any instrument time in? Many instructors will acknowledge that having a civil instrument ticket makes RI's (radio instruments) much less painful. The avionics package in the A model is probably a bit different, but the procedures for RI approaches and flight planning should be pretty much the same.
And knowing is half the battle!