• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Syria Combat Mission

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Actually, I think they'd probably be ok with the cat and trap, especially in the down position. But I don't know why you'd want them - they only help you see things that you shouldn't be focusing on anyway. Aside from that, you're obviously not seeing color and your acuity is degraded to probably 20/40 or 20/30 at best. It's not worth the trade-off to have an aided deck-spotting capability.

Regarding the story, I though it was pretty well done. The buddy bombing was a bit unusual, wouldn't have expected to see that.

That sounded more like hitting something at the same time and not buddy bombing. They were talking about being "In range".

And I wouldn't want anything to do with landing at the boat with NVGs.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Also, the Waveoff lights and the ILARTS camera's IR illum lights are not NVG compatible. If you got waved off, it'd be like staring into the sun.
n08lp5_4.jpg

Python

pilot
Contributor
Somebody from another squadron in my airwing left the goggles up on his helmet for the trap. Went right through the HUD.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somebody from another squadron in my airwing left the goggles up on his helmet for the trap. Went right through the HUD.
New callsign afterwards, I presume.:D

Not sure why you would do that. To m,e they were annoying as fuck to have on and not be using them. Just enough weight in the wrong place, so that turning your head felt subtly awkward and weird. Not to mention the back seat, where you had a choice of looking sideways out the canopy with them down, or flipping them up to actually use the system. Look forward with them down, and you'd risk banging them against the panel, not that you could see much of the display that way anyhow.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Irish (and zippy), your post(s) were deleted due to some external considerations.

jtmedli

pilot
Do any pilots ever get to use the Four barreled ones? Or is that Special Forces Only?

I've only seen the SOF guys with them. Honestly, I wouldn't want them. My peripheral vision is an asset when I'm landing the helo and I'm often looking under the goggles to help identify towers/wires or even just get a more realistic idea of what things in front of me look like.