• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Syria Combat Mission

jtmedli

pilot
To add to SynixMan's response; take all >180 degrees of your peripheral vision and then shrink it into two soda straws. Goggles are awesome, and flying at night without them is dumb, but they severely limit your depth perception .

The advertised number is 40 degrees with the goggles on.

For the OP: Basically look through a couple toilet paper rolls and that's about all you you get with goggles on.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
There are times when guys wear them to exped airfields at night.
Yes, and it pays to know if your AOA indexers have been mod'd before doing it for the first time. A red chevron on goggles bears a striking resemblance to a fire light. Or so I've heard...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
To add to SynixMan's response; take all >180 degrees of your peripheral vision and then shrink it into two soda straws. Goggles are awesome, and flying at night without them is dumb, but they severely limit your depth perception .
Not a TACAIR guy and not trying to nitpick but I've always found depth perception to be really pretty good. Distance estimation sucks though.

Reactions: IKE

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Fair to say, but you don't really have any real "depth perception" (stereoscopic parallax and convergence) outside of about 30-50 feet anyway. Other cues like depth from motion, and familiar size of objects work just as well with goggles as without. Color perception, shading, and texture gradient take a hit though.

Bottom line, you can land on goggles... at the field. At the CVN, it's a different story.

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
The advertised number is 40 degrees with the goggles on.

For the OP: Basically look through a couple toilet paper rolls and that's about all you you get with goggles on.
Do any pilots ever get to use the Four barreled ones? Or is that Special Forces Only?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Right. I was just making an observation on NVDs and cuing/perception. Not at all making an argument for use behind the boat.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Fair to say, but you don't really have any real "depth perception" (stereoscopic parallax and convergence) outside of about 30-50 feet anyway. Other cues like depth from motion, and familiar size of objects work just as well with goggles as without. Color perception, shading, and texture gradient take a hit though.

Bottom line, you can land on goggles... at the field. At the CVN, it's a different story.

Yes. Though not permitted, I could *imagine* that tanking on goggles is/can be helpful.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
They would be ripped off from the cat shot or trap. Flying the ball is a night unaided thing.

Actually, I think they'd probably be ok with the cat and trap, especially in the down position. But I don't know why you'd want them - they only help you see things that you shouldn't be focusing on anyway. Aside from that, you're obviously not seeing color and your acuity is degraded to probably 20/40 or 20/30 at best. It's not worth the trade-off to have an aided deck-spotting capability.

Regarding the story, I though it was pretty well done. The buddy bombing was a bit unusual, wouldn't have expected to see that.