• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sworn in

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
Well, here it goes. I have a dumb question to ask but I gotta get the answer so here it goes. I finished my app. for Marine Corps OCS just last week. After signing several papers, my OSO had me swear in the same oath officers take. My question is, why do they have you do it now before you get accepted as opposed to after. My family, especially mom and relatives are all worked up now thinking that if I don't get accepted, they will yank me in as a basic enlisted person. I tried to explain it to them that thats not how it works. Maybe my OSO told me and I forgot, but I not quite sure. Anyways, sorry for such a ridiculous question, but I'm drawing a blank here.[xx(] I know, know, I should know something as important as that but forgive me. Thank you.

marti

I can't believe you fell for that old trick. The Corps has been tricking people for years into enlisting when they thought they where applying for an Officer slot.

Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet Klostman. Having been enlisted I'll tell you a little trick that recruiters play with enlistees.

When I went through MEPS in high school they had an Officer come into a room at the end of the day and swear us all in. After that the recruiters would tell everyone they where obligated to go to boot camp. That's a load of crap. I could have backed out at any point up until the time I left for basic. Hell, even then enlisted people have a six month "adjustment" period. They don't tell anyone about it, but its basically a free ticket out of the military "failure to conform" or something like that. Anyway, I guess my point is that you really don't need to worry about them making you go in enlisted. You are applying to be an officer and nothing else. If you are hesitant about that as well then all you have to do is tell them you want to go home before you accept your commission.

He probably swore you in as a part of the process. Kinda makes people think about what they are really about to do don't ya think?

klostman

the happy dance!
lol, good humor marti, I needed that[:p]. Im not hesitant at all. This is "definetely" what I want to do. I just got tired of trying to explain to people what it is I did. I agree with you though marti. Appreciate the input.

marti

Sure thing Klostman. I always thought it was funny how everyone in my family became an expert on the military when I enlisted. Do this don't do that blah blah blah. Just talk to people who have been there and done that if you want the real skinny, and ignore those that think they have a clue. That is the best part of this forum. If you have questions you can get answers from people that have know what the hell they're talking about. I just hope that includes me.:)

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
He just swore you in because you just joined the reserves. Your Pay Entry Base Date starts on the day you signed your papers and you have to be sworn in to make it official. It is not binding in any way. You can decline your commission if you so desire or refuse training with out anything detrimental. You will not go into the enlisted ranks. Tell your mom not to worry. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

klostman

the happy dance!
Thanks Frumby, yeah its hard to get her to stop worrying. Funny enough though, she's the one that always encouraged me to join the service. I think she always assumed I'd join the Air Force instead of the Marine Corps since her family is all Air Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.