• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sword repair question

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Husband has his grandfather's sword and the old leather on the scabbard has basically crumbled and disintegrated. I've tried for some time to find someone willing and able to do the repair work so I could get is fixed and surprise him, and may finally have been successful. But I need to give them details as they aren't especially familiar with the swords. Can someone check theirs and let me know where the seam in the leather is? I have no idea how to describe it since I don't know what the top/bottom/left/right would be, so a photo showing the seam on the scabbard and the handle of the sword for reference would be especially helpful. I've scoped out photos online, and in some it looks like the seam is on what I could consider the top-essentially along the same line as the hanging loops and the flat portion of the handle when the sword is in the scabbard, and in others it looks like it is on the left if looking down the scabbard from the handle end, with the loops on top. (And perhaps it doesn't matter, but the leather worker wanted details so I have to choose.)

Also, the leather is supposed to be black, yes?

Thank you!

ChuckM

pilot
I don't have an answer about the seam, but as it is worn on the left, I would think of it as having an "inside" or non visible side and an "outside that everyone will readily see.

I'm sure you'll get your picture, but in its absense I would maybe use the above as a start.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The seam is on the bottom opposite the rings. I had to look really hard to see it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg