• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO transfer to Nuke

cschneck

Is it possible to go in as a SWO and then transfer into the surface warfare nuclear program? If so, how likely is this to happen? Or does it just depend on the Navy's needs?

Thanks in advance

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
It is possible.

You can transfer to nuke from just about any community as long as you do it early enough in your career. SWO Nukes will go to a conventional surface ship before going to power school anyways, so the timeline shouldn't hinder you at all. That being said, there's no guarentee, and you would still need to go through the interview process at some point. If I were in your shoes, I would try to change before leaving for OCS, if that isn't possible, I would call (or have your recruiter call) someone at PERS-42 and figure out exactly what you need to do. The people there are very helpful though and are pretty good at getting officers into the nuclear community if its something you want to do. Looks like you're an engineering major which should help a lot too. It all comes down to manning though, and if you want to be a nuke, you might want to think about subs too, since they usually have more spots there, but last I checked, they still needed SWO nukes this year.

Hope that helps.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why would you want to transfer from back-stabbing to anal retentive back-stabbing?

Maybe it's a cleaner kill........

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it possible to go in as a SWO and then transfer into the surface warfare nuclear program? If so, how likely is this to happen? Or does it just depend on the Navy's needs?

Thanks in advance
Yea, pretty easy to do if you meet basic prerequisites and do good on the interview. You wouldn't technically be laterally transferring since you would be in the 1100 community already. Navy's needs will play a factor, but if you're a proven performer, you'll probably be fine.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Interesting way to get a nuke bonus without the chance of being forced to go subs.... I don't know if that was your intention, but if it was...

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Why would you want to transfer from back-stabbing to anal retentive back-stabbing?

When I saw the title of this thread, the thought "bad to worse" came to mind. But the above is a lot more descriptive, and accurate.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting way to get a nuke bonus without the chance of being forced to go subs.... I don't know if that was your intention, but if it was...
Except that subs are an all volunteer force.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Meaning what?

There were two O's on my crew in prototype who were forced to go subs. Technically, they "volunteered", but thats only because they volunteered not to resign their commissions and pay back their academy tuitions on the spot when they went for their interviews.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There were two O's on my crew in prototype who were forced to go subs. Technically, they "volunteered", but thats only because they volunteered not to resign their commissions and pay back their academy tuitions on the spot when they went for their interviews.
So you heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend....? Somehow I get the feeling that we're missing key parts of that story which we'll never know.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
There is still more to the story, no matter where you got it from. Or least less of an exaggeration.

You dont pay government debts back "on the spot" out of service ever. Especially one that large. Also, there is an option to give back time instead of money.

When I went to interview at NR, the only one's "forced" subs were the OCs. But OC's come in as nuke options under a different set of conditions, and sign a statement of understanding regarding this. Not saying they didn't tell you whatever they did, but I think it might be a bit of a stretch.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

No one going to OCS can be forced to go subs. They aren't under contract until after they pass the interview and sign the necessary paperwork to start getting paid. If the answer is "sub only" and there's a pro-req for another community waiting for them (or even if there isn't), they can say FU to nuclear Navy.

So you heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend....? Somehow I get the feeling that we're missing key parts of that story which we'll never know.
No, there are people who are "drafted" into the subs -- NROTC units that order middies to put nuke in their top 3, and people who interview from the Academy despite nuke being at the bottom of a list of 5 URL communities. Maybe "drafted" is too strong of a word...more like "coerced," compounded by a sense of honor to not tank the interviews on purpose.

Sure, you could say it's "volunteering," but not really.

SWO Bubba

None
This past year a number of NROTC and USNA folks were force-drafted into Subs. They are hurting a bit for numbers.