• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO to Medical or Medical to SWO?

CrazyAl1

Good evening Ladies and Gentleman,

This is my first post on Air Warriors. I have read many forms on different topics and I have been very grateful for the knowledge I have taken from all the different walks of life everyone has been on. This will be a long post but will contain all the relevant information needed to help me with the question listed above.

I graduated this past December with my Bachelors in Finance. While in college, I was in AROTC for a semester and then transferred to NROTC where I stayed until I was administratively separated from the program. I was awarded a scholarship in August of 2021. In December 2021 I was suspended from the school I was attending, resulting in a PRB and the decision to separate. It was not until April 2022 that this decision made its way through the Navy and I received the paperwork signing off on my dismissal from the program. In between the PRB decision and the sign-off from the Navy, I was suspended from participating in the program. I found a way to continue with my education which only pushed my graduation back by a year rather than 3 (2 year suspension plus 1 year to finish the program).

While I was in NROTC, I was an average MIDN. I had my moments of tardiness at unit events but I always came dressed and ready to perform the best I could. I had always wanted to fly but with 2 knee surgeries on the same knee, the delay of my graduation, and the desire to go into medicine, I feel that going aviation will not work both due to time and the investment both on my side and the Navy's.

Recently I have decided to go forward with the first steps to OCS/ODS. I have started the medical paperwork because I know that this takes the longest to get straightened out regardless of what direction I move forward with. I have been upset with myself for how I was dismissed from the program and not being able to finish what I started which was to commission URL. I am also aware of my desire to go into medicine and I am aware of the HPSP and have spoken to a recruiter for this program as well.

My question to you all is should I move forward and go SWO for 4 years and then transition to medical school or should I go through the HPSP program and while serving my active duty tours on a carrier earn my SWO pin? From the research I have done and conversations had, both routes will take 11-12 years in total. I do see the appeal of going SWO first and then medical school because I have the opportunity to work civilian and the pay would be much more than military medicine. The downside to this is medical school in my 30s.

I talked with one of my old company officers and he explained how if I went the HPSP route and then to SWO it would be similar to aviation where the Navy might not be keen on losing on the investment made on top of losing rank.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely torn by the decision.

Very respectfully,

CrazyAl1

exNavyOffRec

I would second what @FormerRecruitingGuru said.

If you are unsure about wanting to be a Doctor but do want to serve then SWO would probably be the easiest to get into. I have seen SWO's go to be Dentist and Doctors so it isn't unheard of.

Going from Medical to SWO makes no sense at all and I doubt the USN would actually entertain that option.

This is assuming you can get into SWO, we have no idea if you qualify with you GPA or any other of the qualifiers.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Good evening Ladies and Gentleman,

This is my first post on Air Warriors. I have read many forms on different topics and I have been very grateful for the knowledge I have taken from all the different walks of life everyone has been on. This will be a long post but will contain all the relevant information needed to help me with the question listed above.

I graduated this past December with my Bachelors in Finance. While in college, I was in AROTC for a semester and then transferred to NROTC where I stayed until I was administratively separated from the program. I was awarded a scholarship in August of 2021. In December 2021 I was suspended from the school I was attending, resulting in a PRB and the decision to separate. It was not until April 2022 that this decision made its way through the Navy and I received the paperwork signing off on my dismissal from the program. In between the PRB decision and the sign-off from the Navy, I was suspended from participating in the program. I found a way to continue with my education which only pushed my graduation back by a year rather than 3 (2 year suspension plus 1 year to finish the program).

While I was in NROTC, I was an average MIDN. I had my moments of tardiness at unit events but I always came dressed and ready to perform the best I could. I had always wanted to fly but with 2 knee surgeries on the same knee, the delay of my graduation, and the desire to go into medicine, I feel that going aviation will not work both due to time and the investment both on my side and the Navy's.

Recently I have decided to go forward with the first steps to OCS/ODS. I have started the medical paperwork because I know that this takes the longest to get straightened out regardless of what direction I move forward with. I have been upset with myself for how I was dismissed from the program and not being able to finish what I started which was to commission URL. I am also aware of my desire to go into medicine and I am aware of the HPSP and have spoken to a recruiter for this program as well.

My question to you all is should I move forward and go SWO for 4 years and then transition to medical school or should I go through the HPSP program and while serving my active duty tours on a carrier earn my SWO pin? From the research I have done and conversations had, both routes will take 11-12 years in total. I do see the appeal of going SWO first and then medical school because I have the opportunity to work civilian and the pay would be much more than military medicine. The downside to this is medical school in my 30s.

I talked with one of my old company officers and he explained how if I went the HPSP route and then to SWO it would be similar to aviation where the Navy might not be keen on losing on the investment made on top of losing rank.

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated as I am extremely torn by the decision.

Very respectfully,

CrazyAl1
As I'm sure you know, you're fighting an uphill battle here. That said, if you ultimately want to be a medical bubba, go do that. As we often tell people who go enlisted so they can become aviators, the Navy has a strange way of derailing your life plans in rude and inconvenient ways. It's best to chase the thing you want with certainty instead of trying to take the scenic route. HPSP will get you to be a Medical Corps bubba the fastest and most efficient way possible. If you go SWO, you may end up having bad timing, qualifying late, getting a terrible second tour, never getting a good opportunity for the lateral transfer board (It works differently for Medical Corps redesignations), and ultimately having to make the decision get out or do your DH tours which will likely make you too senior to transition to the Medical Corps and go through med school.

Since you want advice, apply for HPSP and chase the dream of being a doctor. If that fizzles out, apply for OCS as a SWO. Also, do you have the prerequisite pre-med classes in order to be competitive for med school? All of my friends who did HPSP still had to take the MCAT and actually get into med school. Can you do that?

Going from Medical to SWO makes no sense at all and I doubt the USN would actually entertain that option.
They would not. The scenario in which that would occur is so slim as to be impossible. This is doubly so if the Navy pays for medical school. Having worked with Navy Docs and medical types, they Navy is so heavily invested in you and your skillset that they get treated similar to pilots wherein your medical job often takes precedent over your admin duties which get left to your Chief or First Class.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be a buzzkill, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Being dismissed from ROTC and suspended from school isn't exactly going to make your OCS or HPSP package stand out - at least, not in a good way. You were kind of vague about the circumstances but I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where they would be considered favorable by any kind of selection board. As @AllAmerican75 pointed out, are you even competitive for med school? Or academically eligible, with a Finance degree? Have you taken the MCAT?

Your desires are fine and all but they're irrelevant if your past performance is going to hobble your chances of being able to pursue any of them.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ll try to simplify this for you…take a free MCAT, link below, and if you score below 500 put your package and enjoy the SWO life - you aren’t going to medical school and you certainly aren’t getting into a military program. If, however, you get above a 500 and have the correct prerequisite classes then give it a try - it only costs the price of the application fee. Although the powers that be will let you take the MCAT up to 7 times trends show that very few people improve their scores that much. So, if you take the test and score below 480, dream a different dream (maybe Physician Assistant?)…or enjoy SWO life!

CrazyAl1

Gentleman,

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback.

I realized from reviewing some other posts, that I am missing some information that can help paint who I am.

I graduated with a 3.3 GPA, I scored a 44 OAR on the first ASTB I took and a 39 OAR on the second ASTB taken. ASTB was taken when I was trying to pursue aviation while in NROTC. I have material to start studying for the OAR more intensely to raise that score up.

The school I was suspended from was a state school that had a low reputation compared to the university I graduated from. The circumstances for why I was suspended are complex and not meant for a public forum. Needless to say, I was never charged criminally.

I decided to go into medicine during a financial internship in the second semester of my senior year (I graduated after 4.5 years). I have worked in healthcare for a cumulative of 5 years starting in nursing care and currently in pharmacy. This past year I have been a part of 2 research projects focusing on cancer treatment and infectious disease treatment respectively. Being that I was in NROTC I took both Calc 1 and 2 with A- in both and Physics 1 with a C. Last summer I took Bio 1 and 2 earning an A in both and have mapped out my remaining pre-requisites to be completed by next summer. This plan has been vetted by the admissions director for the medical school associated with the hospital where I work. I have not taken an MCAT practice exam but have been using prep material for 3 months now.

Being that I was dismissed from the program, I felt defeated and incomplete. My work ethic and upbringing said to finish what I started which is to commission URL. This is the motivation behind SWO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The circumstances for why I was suspended are complex and not meant for a public forum. Needless to say, I was never charged criminally.

Based off this line alone, perhaps the military isn't suited for you. Unpopular opinion, perhaps, but just my two cents.

CrazyAl1

Based off this line alone, perhaps the military isn't suited for you. Unpopular opinion, perhaps, but just my two cents.
Sir,

The circumstances have been heard by my unit leadership and the recruiters I have spoken with and they have given me the green light to move forward with applying for OCS of HPSP.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir,

The circumstances have been heard by my unit leadership and the recruiters I have spoken with and they have given me the green light to move forward with applying for OCS of HPSP.
What unit leadership? Are you referring to your old NROTC unit? I would defer to what your recruiter says, but as others have mentioned, I wouldn’t be (unfortunately) surprised if you don’t get picked up. Being separated from a previous commissioning program is never a good thing to have on your record. Of course, don’t let a bunch of strangers on the internet convince you not to do it, just go in with your eyes open and have a backup plan.

Also, I don’t think you should rule out pursuing flying if that’s what truly interests you. You’re still young enough, and provided medical clears you, the knee surgeries shouldn’t matter.

exNavyOffRec

Gentleman,

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback.

I realized from reviewing some other posts, that I am missing some information that can help paint who I am.

I graduated with a 3.3 GPA, I scored a 44 OAR on the first ASTB I took and a 39 OAR on the second ASTB taken. ASTB was taken when I was trying to pursue aviation while in NROTC. I have material to start studying for the OAR more intensely to raise that score up.

The school I was suspended from was a state school that had a low reputation compared to the university I graduated from. The circumstances for why I was suspended are complex and not meant for a public forum. Needless to say, I was never charged criminally.

I decided to go into medicine during a financial internship in the second semester of my senior year (I graduated after 4.5 years). I have worked in healthcare for a cumulative of 5 years starting in nursing care and currently in pharmacy. This past year I have been a part of 2 research projects focusing on cancer treatment and infectious disease treatment respectively. Being that I was in NROTC I took both Calc 1 and 2 with A- in both and Physics 1 with a C. Last summer I took Bio 1 and 2 earning an A in both and have mapped out my remaining pre-requisites to be completed by next summer. This plan has been vetted by the admissions director for the medical school associated with the hospital where I work. I have not taken an MCAT practice exam but have been using prep material for 3 months now.

Being that I was dismissed from the program, I felt defeated and incomplete. My work ethic and upbringing said to finish what I started which is to commission URL. This is the motivation behind SWO.
So you are aware arrest will show up on federal background check.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Gentleman,

Honestly, forget being a SWO. If your recruiter is willing to give it a shot, then go for it but it doesn't sound like you'll find the SWO life rewarding and it will take you away from the medical field for a long time and/or permanently. Just know that you have a black mark on your record and you need to get those OAR scores up. That said, may I offer a third option?

Look into the Medical Service Corps: https://www.med.navy.mil/Medical-Service-Corps/

Your finance background combined with your medical experience would make you a good fit and you still get to do medical things with lots of strange niche areas within the military. You may even be able to continue participating in research and academia if that's what you want to do. Talk to your recruiter and see if you can push forward for both regular Medical Corps (Doctors and stuff) and Medical Service Corps (Industrial Hygienists, Ergonomics and Safety Inspectors, Flight Adaptability Research, and much more). I think this will be much more rewarding and satisfying for you. You're still wearing the uniform at the end of the day.