• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO, Son of maintenance thread

phrogpilot73

Steve Wilkins said:
Actually, that's been talked about quite a bit on these boards. No, not in recents months, but over the years the topic has come up on multiple occassions. Let me guess, you probably have a preconceived notion of what "SWO sh!t" entails and it just isn't for you. You (and you wouldn't be alone) think that SWO sh!t is all about driving ships. This is most likely based on what you've heard or read (here maybe) regarding QOL of your typcial SWO JO. I used to think the same thing when I was in your shoes....and probably for many of the same reasons you do now. This is all just conjecture though.
Isn't "SWO sh!t" all about drinking coffee, and b!tching about aviators? J/K - Wife is a former SWO so I've got a rough idea of how things work... So I'm curious, is the back-stabbery/lack of community prevalent, or is it just certain ships?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Isn't "SWO sh!t" all about drinking coffee, and b!tching about aviators? J/K - Wife is a former SWO so I've got a rough idea of how things work... So I'm curious, is the back-stabbery/lack of community prevalent, or is it just certain ships?
I haven't personally witnessed or experienced the backstabbing. I've heard things here and there and know it goes on from time to time, but I just don't get myself wrapped up in those reindeer games. As for the lack of community, yea, you better believe it. SWO is the only line officer warfare qual that is open to other designators beside 1130's. LDO's and Warrants in certain designators can earn the qual and that fact pollutes the community identity. This is not to degrade the work that warrants and LDO's do. I just think that SWO's should have their own qual just as the aviators do, as well as submariners and SEALs. The initial training pipeline is not conducive to community identity either....I don't think it ever has been. But that's a gripe for another time in another thread.

phrogpilot73

Steve Wilkins said:
I haven't personally witnessed or experienced the backstabbing. I've heard things here and there and know it goes on from time to time, but I just don't get myself wrapped up in those reindeer games. As for the lack of community, yea, you better believe it. SWO is the only line officer warfare qual that is open to other designators beside 1130's. LDO's and Warrants in certain designators can earn the qual and that fact pollutes the community identity. This is not to degrade the work that warrants and LDO's do. I just think that SWO's should have their own qual just as the aviators do, as well as submariners and SEALs. The initial training pipeline is not conducive to community identity either....I don't think it ever has been. But that's a gripe for another time in another thread.
What about SWOS going away for Academy grads, you think that makes it worse?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
What about SWOS going away for Academy grads, you think that makes it worse?
SWOS (Division Officer School portion ONLY) went away for all new baby SWO's a few years back. Now, training is done via CBT on their first ship. After they've qualified OOD (u/w) and are recommended by their CO, they come here to Newport for a 3 week "finishing school." They cannot qualify as a SWO (Warrants and LDO's included) without having done the CBT work and the "finishing school" in Newport. Once back on their ship, they can then do their SWO board.

Jay610

King of the Wicker People
phrogpilot73 said:

Oh, no, the back-stabbery is everywhere!:icon_rage

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Steve,
How easy is it to get on the VBSS team as a SWO?
Well, the boarding officers are SWO's. I was one of two boarding officers on my first ship. It actually not that hard to get the position if you indicate that's what you want to do and show the drive and motivation. It also helps when you own the guns, the bullets, all the gear, and many of the guys on the teams. I was the Gunno, so it was only natural that I be one of the boarding officers...or so my DH told me. Turned out to be a lot of fun, but a hell of a lot of work too.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
@Steve: I thought that only 11xx could get the SWO pin, for the "sense of community" reasons you outline above... am I mistaken?

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Not to totally hijack the thread, but is it possible for an Aviator (after multiple deployments) to earn a SWO pin? My understanding was that they could get the qual, but that they were not actually eligible to wear the pin. Granted, I'm not sure that there would be sufficient time for an Aviator to do all of their work and quals in addition to the massive amount of work it takes to earn a SWO pin. Just curious.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scamahmrd said:
Not to totally hijack the thread, but is it possible for an Aviator (after multiple deployments) to earn a SWO pin? My understanding was that they could get the qual, but that they were not actually eligible to wear the pin. Granted, I'm not sure that there would be sufficient time for an Aviator to do all of their work and quals in addition to the massive amount of work it takes to earn a SWO pin. Just curious.
No, you can't earn the qual and you can't wear the pin. You can qualify OOD and maybe even TAO. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to pull this off during a squadron tour, but during your disassociated sea tour, both quals are quite possible. However, I typically saw the disassociated bubbas qual only one of the positions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
No, you can't earn the qual and you can't wear the pin. You can qualify OOD and maybe even TAO. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to pull this off during a squadron tour, but during your disassociated sea tour, both quals are quite possible. However, I typically saw the disassociated bubbas qual only one of the positions.
Does that mean they put you into the watch rotation, or is it just a pride of ownership deal?

Brett

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Well, the boarding officers are SWO's. I was one of two boarding officers on my first ship. It actually not that hard to get the position if you indicate that's what you want to do and show the drive and motivation. It also helps when you own the guns, the bullets, all the gear, and many of the guys on the teams. I was the Gunno, so it was only natural that I be one of the boarding officers...or so my DH told me. Turned out to be a lot of fun, but a hell of a lot of work too.

Did you ever make it over to Blackwater? That looks like a hell of a time for a gun guy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Scamahmrd said:
Now the only URLs that can earn a SWO pin are the 111X & 116X designators, but back in my day it was possible for any officer. A few of us while CVN ship's company on our disassociated sea tours did it but it was rare. As far as I know, I was the first on the TR and the only one during my time aboard who did it. While almost all did it completely on the carrier, I had to be stupid and went TAD to a Spruance in the Caribbean for their CD deployment while my ship was in the yards (bad call on my part, very professionally educational but also very sadomasochistic). I already had all the PQS done, but I got talked into this by a SWO friend that convinced me to "truly earn" my SWO pin I needed to "go SWO" for a while....I was also trying to convince a very non-cooperative Reactor Officer (head SWO on the carrier, post SWO command and in charge of the program) to give me my board to finish my qual. This seemed like it might be the ticket to get him on board but that was a whole different can of worms. He got relieved for cause and a new RO was in place when I got back - he loved that I what I was doing. (The whole thing convinced me to never again trust a SWO who says they are your friend - they'll still stick the knife in and give it a twist or two.....my so-called good friend thought my 6 months of misery in SWO-land was funny....)

There was a massive amount of extra work on my part to earn the SWO qual but I had a head start. Prior to reporting to TR I was a TAO school instructor at Dan Neck. This means I was basically already TAO qualified and just had to do minimal training/OJT & a review board to learn TR's procedures & SOPs vice the whole training program. My ship's billet included bridge watch so my normal watch training was for OOD. So I had 2 of the 3 big watch quals out of the way and just had Engineering remaining. Of course there was still all the other stuff like DIVO, Damage Control, NGFS, 3M, etc. to do.

It would have been difficult to do it as an aviator in an air wing. There would not be enough time to do it in one deployment or even two with your flying and squadron ground jobs. Plus you would have needed to do it all on the same ship as each ship's qualification program was slightly different. There was also some of the PQS that required schools such as Damage Control which would be hard for a non-ship's company guy to go to (most commands won't fund training not required for their unit). Further, TAO, OOD and EOOW quals have to be re-done on each new ship you go to.

And yes, aviators who qualified as SWOs could wear the pin.

Steve Wilkins said:
Well, the boarding officers are SWO's.
Not always. I was the TR's Boarding Officer after Desert Storm (before I got SWO qualified). I was OOD undeway qualed and my assistant was a LDO Gunner. I also had a friend a few years ago (another VP NFO) who was a Boarding Officer for his carrier.

But generally speaking I'd say your right. There are SWOs 99% of the time.

I concur it was a lot of fun and hard work. But climbing up that ladder on a tanker in ballast while wearing body armor and carrying a shot gun was not one of my favorite things to do....

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Does that mean they put you into the watch rotation, or is it just a pride of ownership deal?

Brett
Depends on what billet you're filling. Guys like ANAV (Asst. Navigator) are put into the bridge rotation since s/he is GATOR's right hand man (or woman). And there are others who get sent there specifically to be a TAO. So, they'll get put into the CDC rotation ultimately qual'ing as TAO. If you go there as a shooter, you won't have time to be messing around with OOD or TAO. If I was an aviator coming up on orders for a disassociated sea tour, I'd be gunning pretty hard for those TAO orders.