• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Pipeline

BigRed389

None
I noticed on the first page that someone said you get to choose the type of ship you want to be on. While choosing the ship, do they tell you where its homeport is? If it doesn't, are you allowed to try and pick your homeport and then just have the Navy designate what ship you are on?

Even if the info is not available, it's not hard to look up the ship's name and find out what the homeport is.

When you're ready to go to your next ship after 2.5 years on the first one, it works more the way you describe. They factor your ranking, then you pick your choice of:
1)Homeport
2)Job
3)Platform
You list preferences in all 3 categories, then list how important each of the three is to you.

navy09

None
Well I would check that site out but, apparently you have to be a member to read anything. Add on the fact that I don't have a VIP code, whatever the hell that is, it doesn't look like I'll be doing much reading.

Good attitude. How about asking for help? They encourage Midshipmen and Officer Candidates to join. If you ask us what the VIP question is, I'm sure we can help you out (it used to be 51, though it may have changed).

rickthebrowning

?

Not sure what the deal with the sarcastic comment is, but I thought it was fairly obvious I have no idea what I'm doing here. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but assuming I knew that you needed an account to access that site as well as knowing what a VIP code is was kind of a stretch don't you think?

Seriously though, I'm not afraid to admitting I have no idea what I need to do to read the information you told me would be on that website, so whatever you can do to help I would seriously appreciate.

navy09

None
I'm really not trying to be a dick, I want to help a fellow wanna-be SWO out. Still man, all you have to do is register on SB just like you did on this site

I just checked on the registration page...the VIP code is 51. List your rank as Midn. After you're registered, run a search for "ship selection." Voila! Instant access to a shit load of information you've been asking about.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
The guys on SailorBob are cool with MIDNs/OCs registering. I lurk on there and have never posted, but when I registered my account I PM'ed an admin and they said it was encouraged for wannabes to registers and read.

rickthebrowning

I'm really not trying to be a dick, I want to help a fellow wanna-be SWO out. Still man, all you have to do is register on SB just like you did on this site

I'm sure you could understand where I was coming from. Trying to register on a site you've never been to before when it asks for information (required information at that) that you don't even know about would normally make most people think, "Hey, there's something kind of strange here." Ya feel me? That's all I was trying to say.

I just checked on the registration page...the VIP code is 51. List your rank as Midn. After you're registered, run a search for "ship selection." Voila! Instant access to a shit load of information you've been asking about.

Right on. Thanks.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
CAmike hit it dead on with what he has said. Granted, as a JO, you can learn to filter the B.S., take the hit, get chewed and move on. I have learned to do that. It only took an inspection to learn how F-ed up the chain of command can be regarding common sense and thinking inside the box. IMO, overall I would rather piss off my DH then my Chief. As for what I went through as a JO SWO post OCS, you pick your ship or homeport (if you are lucky you may end up with both). I got a DDG in Norfolk VA. Would have preferred San Diego. The command picked my job. You may or may not go to a collateral duty school such as legal officer or something combat related. SWOS for OCS grads is in Newport. Being a SWO in training hasn't been as bad as I have heard, you just need to know how to work the system. But that can be in any profession. BTW, see my quote for 'inside the box DH head thinking' and below for the answer to the sailorbob question.

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Odd question, what all decides OCS class rank? What all goes into the ranking? Just curious because that goes into ship selection.

USN99

USN99
None
An Epic Moment in AW

1. The SWO culture as a whole tends to lead our young JO warriors to think that towing the line and being in the top 5% is the main goal of a career officer.

2. ...A Tool is a person in the late 0-3, early O-4 realm of life that will sacrifice common sense as a manager if the immediate results means that he/she will receive better grades/fitreps than his/hers peers.

3. "Tool" isn't necessarily limited to SW.

CAMike has posted words of wisdom that should be incorporated in Naval Science Courses for all Mids and OCs. I've only quoted a few observations above. However, I recommend everyone return to the full post from CAMike. He does everyone a great service.

Your fitrep is not your number one priority. You should not piss off your Chief. Tools can be found in any organization not just among SWOs. That being said, the wisdom I learned was aptly summarized as, "Don't be a Dick." A little more coarse but we got the message. :D