• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Pipeline

swerdna

None
Contributor
What is the typical pipeline for a SWO? OCS in Newport, then stay in Newport for further training? How long/where is it, and then is it off to the Fleet?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
After OCS in Newport, you'll probably go to "Baby" SWOS in either Norfolk or San Diego (depending on which coast your ship is homeported on) for about 4 weeks. The reason I say probably is because if your ship is deployed, they might send you straight to your ship and then go back to school later. From there you'll spend about 2- 2 1/2 years onboard your first-tour ship and another 1 1/2 years on your second tour. From there its off to a shore command (Flag secretary, USNA, NROTC, Post Grad School, etc.). Anywho, check out the link (specifically the SWO Community brief) which details the SWO-timeline:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/

navy09

None
Rufio, you're a true SWO-daddy. Any more gouge on when ship selection is supposed to be?

andrews7: Welcome to the dark side. Check out sailorbob.com, it's a SWO forum. Let us know if you have any more questions.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Rufio, you're a true SWO-daddy. Any more gouge on when ship selection is supposed to be?

andrews7: Welcome to the dark side. Check out sailorbob.com, it's a SWO forum. Let us know if you have any more questions.

thanks for the info. I was just selected for SWO/NFO for OCS. Gonna pick SWO. Do you have to be on active duty to register at sailorbob?

I spent 4 years on the USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62)...and am ready to get back to sea (never thought I'd say that).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
After OCS in Newport, you'll probably go to "Baby" SWOS in either Norfolk or San Diego (depending on which coast your ship is homeported on) for about 4 weeks. The reason I say probably is because if your ship is deployed, they might send you straight to your ship and then go back to school later. From there you'll spend about 2- 2 1/2 years onboard your first-tour ship and another 1 1/2 years on your second tour. From there its off to a shore command (Flag secretary, USNA, NROTC, Post Grad School, etc.). Anywho, check out the link (specifically the SWO Community brief) which details the SWO-timeline:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/SurfaceWarfare/
Has something changed since last July? All OCS grads were staying in Newport for 12 weeks of SWOS before heading to their ships.

navy09

None
thanks for the info. I was just selected for SWO/NFO for OCS. Gonna pick SWO. Do you have to be on active duty to register at sailorbob?

I spent 4 years on the USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62)...and am ready to get back to sea (never thought I'd say that).

Good call. Yes you can register on SB, use the MIDN/OC rank.

navy09

None
Has something changed since last July? All OCS grads were staying in Newport for 12 weeks of SWOS before heading to their ships.

I'm not sure. OCS grads used to go to SWOSDOC right after OCS, while ROTC/USNA went straight to their ships.

This summer, they started a SWOSDOC program for all new SWOs. Not sure how this effects OCS grads.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Where is all this horrible gouge coming from? I just finished the "baby" SWOS class on Friday.

It is 3 weeks long.
It is only for OCS grads.
It is in Newport, across the causeway from OCS near the Chalet.
After that, it's off to your ship that you picked at OCS.

navy09

None
Where is all this horrible gouge coming from? I just finished the "baby" SWOS class on Friday.

It is 3 weeks long.

So I assume you don't go to the SWOSDOC in your homeport after checking onboard your ship?

Layzee101

Final Select SWO
Everytime a SWO question is asked I know that they are going to be sent to sailorbob. I have found that it is not as userfriendly as airwarriors, kinda why I still float around here.

Layzee101

Final Select SWO

It is 3 weeks long.

So pick your ship based on a wishlist?

navy09

None
Everytime a SWO question is asked I know that they are going to be sent to sailorbob. I have found that it is not as userfriendly as airwarriors, kinda why I still float around here.

That's 'cuz there's a shit load of collective knowledge on that site. There's also a ton of good info archived. It's not hard to use at all.

If you have SWO questions you can ask on here too. There are a few SWO JO's and several fellow "gonna-be's" on here.

As far as picking your ship, I'm fairly sure OCS works just like ROTC/USNA. You'll get ranked and then pick in that order. The thread below sort of confirms that, my counselor is an OCS guy and that's how they did it 5 or so years ago when he was there. Could have changed I guess.

http://www.sailorbob.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9472