• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO OCT 2013 Board - Final Select Letter????

elliottm2

Pro-recs take a while, for the July board I didn't hear until halfway through august. Also when I was in the office signing enlistment paperwork last mondayI noticed that it seemed they are going to start making swo and aviation boards rolling, apparently.

As for the score of 51. I would say its competitive, not highly competitive, but it will do the trick if you do awesome everywhere else. A good way is to look at our profiles. Most of us post our score openly. If the deadline is close, submit it. If you are not satisfied with your score then take it again, but study. For me, I made studying for the ASTB a huge part of my daily routine. Get practice questions, they are hard to find, but get everything you can. Also I took off the 3-4 days before the test and literally studied 9 hours a day to get ready, having a primary focus on one area each day. But I'm insane and had the luxury to do this.

One thing I highly recommend, though my opinion as a lowly Indoc Candidate carries all the weight of a grain of sand, is going and finding ANY officer interviews you can, not only for submitting them to your package, but they have great advice on how to make your package more competitive. A good place to start, and how I got officer interviews is finding navy and marines rotc programs nearby to you. Email them, ask if there is anyone who can spend maybe half an hour with you and evaluate you. Come prepared. Know who you are talking to and what they have done, and who you are and why you want this. This is how I stumbled on to a commander that I now have as a mentor.

Showing the board you want this, and that you are not just worth it but almost crazy about becoming a naval officer makes an impression. That's how I feel at least.

exNavyOffRec

Pro-recs take a while, for the July board I didn't hear until halfway through august. Also when I was in the office signing enlistment paperwork last mondayI noticed that it seemed they are going to start making swo and aviation boards rolling, apparently.

As for the score of 51. I would say its competitive, not highly competitive

That is actually a pretty decent score, and the OAR is a small piece of it, the GPA carries much more weight for non aviation.

One thing I highly recommend, though my opinion as a lowly Indoc Candidate carries all the weight of a grain of sand, is going and finding ANY officer interviews you can, not only for submitting them to your package, but they have great advice on how to make your package more competitive.

In most cases this is a waste of time, the board has repeatedly said they want to see LOR's from people that have seen the candidate perform over time, not a 30 minute interview. The case where it would not is if a person works or has know for some time a retired or AD officer.

AD officer would have good info for those that are AD applying for commission because that is something they most likely would have dealt with, few AD officers know the commissioning process for civilians, some have given just completely wrong information, heck some current OR's don't bother to read the manuals or email notifications and screw over applicants.

So at this point I have not heard anything from the Oct. SWO board. My application was submitted Oct 1 (the first day of the govt. shutdown), should I assume that because of the timing of my submission, and the shutdown that my application was not reviewed by the Oct 11 SWO board? I am starting to get very disappointed every time I check my mail.

exNavyOffRec

So at this point I have not heard anything from the Oct. SWO board. My application was submitted Oct 1 (the first day of the govt. shutdown), should I assume that because of the timing of my submission, and the shutdown that my application was not reviewed by the Oct 11 SWO board? I am starting to get very disappointed every time I check my mail.

Have you called your OR?

I believe some here have heard from about that time frame, if you have not been contacted most likely it is that your application was not reviewed, or you were not selected.

JamesL37

I've been lurking on this board for a while, but I have also been notified that I was Pro Rec-Y on October 22. Still waiting on that elusive Final Select letter. My OR said it would take 2 weeks or so. It's been over a month, but I have yet to hear anything new. Is this normal? Also, is there a way to check my status without having to go through my OR? I'm a civilian applicant.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
My app was submitted in the July board, i got pro'recd in early october, and i still have not received my finalsel letter yet. Hang in there