• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO OCS Closed through 2012.... what now?

hogfan2007

Hi guys,

I've been doing a lot of research on this site, and I really appreciate the information you guys give. There is alot of great stuff on here.

My name is Doug, I'm 25 and have a Bachelors in Construction Management. My OAR score was a 67, which I understand was pretty good, but I haven't taken the flight/navigation tests yet. The downside to my package is that I do have a DWI from 2009. I worked as a Civil Engineer for 2 years for one of the largest contractors in the world and decided I wanted something else. The money was great, but it's not what I wanted to do the rest of my life. However, it was a leadership role and taught me alot about management.

I've decided 100% I want to join the Navy. My first choice in the Navy is Surface Warfare, but I was told by my recruiter this morning that they have closed up shop for a couple years. Where are the other needs of the Navy right now? My next choices would be aviation, nuke, and sub. However, I don't have any flight hours logged, and my degree was not ABET accredited, so it seems like I may not be competitive for any of these even with high test scores. Does anyone know if I would still have a realistic shot at these three? If I don't, is there any other need of the Navy where I could lateral transfer to SWO in the future? I want this so badly I really don't care how I get there, as long as I do get there. I'm even thinking of enlisting and trying to earn a commision that way if I can't get in OCS. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Overlord243

Final-Select SNA 20 Feb 2011 OCS Date
When you took the exam, you also took the aviation part of it as well. I've never heard of anyone being able to not take those parts. A 67 is indeed a VERY good score. I would guess you also did well on the aviation sections with an OAR that high. I would call your OR back and ask for the three aviation scores.

LET73

What about SWO nuke? If the pipeline hasn't changed in the last year or so, you would do a conventional SWO tour on a smallboy, then do the nuke training and go to a carrier. You would get the chance to be a division officer and get all the leadership experience that comes with being a SWO, plus the nuke bonuses (although fair warning, there's a reason they give bonuses to nukes to get them to stay in...). Or, with your engineering/construction background, CEC (Seabees) seems like a pretty obvious choice, and probably significantly different from whatever civil engineering job you had.

hogfan2007

I actually am set up to take the 3 aviation sections next week. My recruiter said the guy in the office should have given me everything at once, but I guess since I was going for SWO, he didn't make me. What is considered "very" competitive for those sections? Would a 7+ in all 3 be high enough to make the boards possibly overlook the DWI?

I would definitely be interested in Nuke SWO, but I assumed that if the SWO OCS wasn't taking any more applicants, then the Nuke SWO school would be closed as well. Am I mistaken there? Also, I worked 40+ hours a week while taking 15+ hours a semester all through college and didn't do as well as I should have. I believe my cummulative GPA was a 3.17 at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. I know this isn't going to impress anyone.

As I mentioned before, I am willing to do supply, intel, or anything there is a need for as long as there is a good chance of transferring to SWO or nuke SWO in the future. However, Seabees would most likely be a last resort for me.

LET73

Check out this thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/155311-Pro-Rec-ed-Nov-10-OCS-Summer-12 where they are talking about the same issue you are having. Looks like SWO nuke is still open--SWO nuke is not the same as SWO, so it's not necessarily closed just because SWO is.

I would recommend not going for intel if you're dead set on SWO--the thing with lat transfers is that you have to get approval from your community (hypothetically intel) to leave, as well as your new community accepting you, and intel isn't letting many people go these days.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I actually am set up to take the 3 aviation sections next week. My recruiter said the guy in the office should have given me everything at once, but I guess since I was going for SWO, he didn't make me. What is considered "very" competitive for those sections? Would a 7+ in all 3 be high enough to make the boards possibly overlook the DWI?

I would definitely be interested in Nuke SWO, but I assumed that if the SWO OCS wasn't taking any more applicants, then the Nuke SWO school would be closed as well. Am I mistaken there? Also, I worked 40+ hours a week while taking 15+ hours a semester all through college and didn't do as well as I should have. I believe my cummulative GPA was a 3.17 at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. I know this isn't going to impress anyone.

As I mentioned before, I am willing to do supply, intel, or anything there is a need for as long as there is a good chance of transferring to SWO or nuke SWO in the future. However, Seabees would most likely be a last resort for me.

I could be wrong but you will have to retake the entire test. So I don't think you will not be able to keep your last OAR score. My reasoning is because the math, mechanical, and verbal sections are used for calculating the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR with an emphasis in math. That means you will end up using your second try because of this. Which means you will have only one more chance with the ASTB. Granted there is a chance for you to get a waiver for a fourth try but I don't know how often that happens. As mentioned above you can still apply for SWO-specialty according to others here. You may want to look into that before wasting your second try just for an aviation spot if your true goal is to become a SWO. You can apply for several other jobs with your current score but you need the entire ASTB for any aviation field and Intel.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
I could be wrong but you will have to retake the entire test. So I don't think you will not be able to keep your last OAR score. My reasoning is because the math, mechanical, and verbal sections are used for calculating the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR with an emphasis in math. That means you will end up using your second try because of this. Which means you will have only one more chance with the ASTB. Granted there is a chance for you to get a waiver for a fourth try but I don't know how often that happens.

From NOMI:

Test Merges​
: Applicants who have taken only the OAR portion of the ASTB (MST, RCT, & MCT) may
take the remaining portions (SAT, ANIT, & AST) to obtain a complete set of scores. Examinees must take
the remaining portions within 90 days of the initial test, and the test date of the SAT, ANIT, & AST
become the official test date for the complete exam. The test merge will count as only one attempt

against the examinee’s 3 test lifetime limit.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
From NOMI:

Test Merges​
: Applicants who have taken only the OAR portion of the ASTB (MST, RCT, & MCT) may
take the remaining portions (SAT, ANIT, & AST) to obtain a complete set of scores. Examinees must take
the remaining portions within 90 days of the initial test, and the test date of the SAT, ANIT, & AST
become the official test date for the complete exam. The test merge will count as only one attempt

against the examinee’s 3 test lifetime limit.

Excellent! Nice work.

KBayDog

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you have an uphill battle.

Most SWO hinges would say, "I'm trying to rain on your parade, and you have an uphill battle."

PSW is right on the money - DUIs are an easy way to trim the fat in DoN personnel. That said, like we tell everyone (except Joboy): Apply, apply, apply. The worst they'll do is tell you "no."

In the meantime, train for life as a SWO: Practice staying awake 24/7 and bashing your head into a brick wall. Repeatedly.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Most SWO hinges would say, "I'm trying to rain on your parade, and you have an uphill battle."

PSW is right on the money - DUIs are an easy way to trim the fat in DoN personnel. That said, like we tell everyone (except Joboy): Apply, apply, apply. The worst they'll do is tell you "no."

In the meantime, train for life as a SWO: Practice staying awake 24/7 and bashing your head into a steel bulkhead. Repeatedly.

Fixed.

as for 24/7....yea that's a myth, unless you're serving on USS FUBAR.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
... I am willing to do supply, intel, or anything there is a need for as long as there is a good chance of transferring to SWO ...

I don't think I have ever heard that said ever before. An Intel guy would never transfer to be a SWO. It would be like Paul deciding he wanted to be Ringo.

hogfan2007

I don't think I have ever heard that said ever before. An Intel guy would never transfer to be a SWO. It would be like Paul deciding he wanted to be Ringo.

Haha nice. I didn't realize intel was that prestigious. SWO is really what I can see myself doing the rest of my life. I definitely regret the dwi, and it really made me grow up alot, but I guess consensus is nothing else matters. You can't get in the navy with one. So very little chance of a waiver with the handwritten statement? I will definitely still try and hope for the best, but I guess I better get used to being a civilian engineer.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Haha nice. I didn't realize intel was that prestigious. SWO is really what I can see myself doing the rest of my life. I definitely regret the dwi, and it really made me grow up alot, but I guess consensus is nothing else matters. You can't get in the navy with one. So very little chance of a waiver with the handwritten statement? I will definitely still try and hope for the best, but I guess I better get used to being a civilian engineer.

Intel is one of the hardest designators to get. So when someone says they want to transfer from one of the hardest to gain accession to an easier albeit tough in its own right you can gain an understanding of why someone would say that.

I don't think anyone said you CAN'T get in or that a waiver is impossible. I believe they said it will be an uphill battle. After I reread your thread I initially didn't realize your DWI was so recently. You don't have enough time to prove that those accolades are behind you. A DWI in general is a tough uphill battle itself. One so recently is even harder. Good Luck to you!

Beefalo

I believe for enlisted to commissioning programs its a 3 year wait if you have NJP (non-judicial punishment) which a DWI could fall under. Since you are a civilian it doesnt apply to you. I tihnk alot of people have weak spots in their package but still get picked up as long as they are strong in other areas. Ive seen alot of people recover from DUI's in the Navy and since you got it before the Navy if you get accepted I dont see it being used against you. The exception E6 going up for Chief or people already wearing khakis. If you get a DUI while wearing khakis I think you are pretty much screwed promotion wise.