• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Maximum Age Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Hello and welcome to all fellow aspiring Naval Officers,

I have a short question which it seems has been difficult to answer by both Navy telephone recruiters and my own recruiter. So here it goes: What is the maximum age for someone wanting to chose the designator of SWO (1165)? Hope some one can help.

Good luck to all in your quest.

righteousbabe

swo max age - 29
nuke swo - 26.5

that's age at commissioning

"If you must raise hell, do it at least a mile from the flag pole."

04Hopeful

Thanks for your input on this topic. I would like to know where you got this information? I have heard 29, up to 35 with a waiver, up to 32 with a waiver. The problem is that all I have gotten so far is hearsay, I would like to see a link to a navy maintained website, but I have not been able to find it.

04Hopeful

I forgot a small sidenote. I read somewhere, and I can't remember where of course, that it is possible to get an SWO slot up to 35 if you qualify for EDO (Engineering Duty Option) by having a special degree (B.S. mostly). Anyone heard or done this?

mbeaser

http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1420/four.pdf
Although this is the enlisted to officer instruction, I'm fairly certain that anyone applying to OCS has the same age restrictions. Waivers are for prior service time, not usually considered for any other reason. In addition, SWO is closed for a long time, they get all the SWOs they currently need from the Academy and NROTC programs. Hope that helps,
Missy

04Hopeful

Thanks for the info. The first official document I have seen. Please understand I am not trying to be picky here, but just pointing out that I am finding conflicting resources. For example, in the document listed above, the active duty obligation is listed as 4 years, however if you go to another official navy site that talks about this program(https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html#swo) it is listed as 5 years. So as you can see, I am finding conflicting reports. Also does anyone know how the EDO selection works? Thanks again for your help

Corky

I think there are two routes to take to becoming an EDO - one is to be pre-selected and one is to be selected while you are doing your sea tours. I don't know much about the first one. Ask your recruiter or do a google search for more info. The second way is to be chosen SWO. You'll go to SWOS and then two ship tours. If you want to go EDO, sometime during the latter end of your first tour you should start the application process. If you are selected, you will still have to do the second tour. After that tour, they will send you to graduate school to get a masters or even a doctorate in an engineering/math/physics discipline. Then you go back out to the fleet and work in shipyards, repair depots, testing facilities, etc.

04Hopeful

Thank you all for the helpful information! I keep asking questions of my recruiter ;-) It looks though that being at the age of 32 I am out of the running for SWO, so that leaves me to go in as a restricted line officer, and pray to get accepted on a designator transfer to SWO since that is ultimately what I want to do in the Navy. Anyone know or heard of someone doing this successfully?

righteousbabe

hopeful,

that info was directly off literature from my recruiter. swo is closed indefinitely, so i don't know what to tell you...try aviation
eyebrows_125.gif

if you are not getting proper info from your recruiter, get another recruiter. you can work with whomever you choose, so don't give up just because one said 'no' or 'i don't know' or 'go away i need engineers'! let me know, i can e-mail you the age chart for all of the officer programs that includes necessary degrees, etc.

04Hopeful

Thanks Righteous for the info! I wish I could try for aviation, but I am over the 29 limit too
icon_smile_sad.gif

I am working on getting another recruiter, someone who will "work" for me. I would appreciate the chart as I do have a BS in Aerospace Engineering, must be worth something right?

righteousbabe

hey hopeful,

send me an email so i can attach the age chart in a reply!

been away from the computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.