• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 17AUG20

Good luck, HMC! I am a former HM1(FMF) that earned my commission last year for SWO. I had never been on a ship until I showed up to my first one as an Ensign. Needless to say, you get plenty of funny looks and comments going from Corpsman to SWO but it's well worth it. Keep up the motivation! I hope to see you out in the fleet.

Thank you so much! I figured there would be looks because I get them now when I tell people. If I get selected I’ll reach out to you!

Sea warrior 24

GSM1(SW) Vaughn
Good Morning Everyone, currently applying for this board as well. Posted my stats below.

Stats:
GSM1 (SW) Vaughn, Corey

GPA: 3.19 Bachelor of Science Information Computer Science.

OAR: 45

Appraisals: 0-5 (SWO), 0-4 (SWO), 0-4 (SWO).
LOR: 0-3 (LDO), 0-4 (SWO) 0-5(SWO)

Evals: MP First first class eval, EP, P welcome aboard.

Good luck to everyone applying.

exNavyOffRec

What did you do to update your package? I was prorec-N on Feb board also. I asked recruiter to try and find out why but haven't heard anything. With all going on it kind of got back burnered.

The board gives no feedback, they take just a few minutes for each application so you need to stand out on a quick glance which would be GPA and degree.

GAhnee

What did you do to update your package? I was prorec-N on Feb board also. I asked recruiter to try and find out why but haven't heard anything. With all going on it kind of got back burnered.
I was also PRO-REC N for the Feb board. You are not going to get an answer as to why you were not selected, as the board gives no feedback. A "significant" update to your package can be as simple as getting a new letter of recommendation. What I did to really update my package was reach out to any SWO that was willing to chat with me and ask to pick their brain. I was also able to get in touch with the commander of the reserve center here, who is a SWO on shore duty and he gave me some insight into what the boards do when they convene, as he has sat on a few selection boards. One of the things he said was that the board has to put up each of your LoR's, meaning that the more you have, the longer your package stays up. Of course, they should be meaningful recommendations. That was my biggest takeaway. My recruiter said that volunteering consistently is something looked upon highly, especially something like at a food bank, though I don't know how much merit to give that (volunteering is definitely a plus overall).

Just to give an idea of how my package was "significantly" updated;
I graduated and was able to send in my final conferred transcript
I added a LOR from a retired O6 SWO (just so happened to be a professor)
I added an interview/appraisal from a current O6 SWO (NROTC Detachment Commander)
I added consistent volunteer experience (5-8 hours a week at my local food bank)

By no means do I consider myself an expert in what determines a good package, I just wanted to offer the insight I received from the people I met. I have found that my recruiter is slow to respond (weeks without a text/email) being that my package is practically complete. I just figure that he is working on packages for those who are just beginning the process.

exNavyOffRec

I was also PRO-REC N for the Feb board. You are not going to get an answer as to why you were not selected, as the board gives no feedback. A "significant" update to your package can be as simple as getting a new letter of recommendation. What I did to really update my package was reach out to any SWO that was willing to chat with me and ask to pick their brain. I was also able to get in touch with the commander of the reserve center here, who is a SWO on shore duty and he gave me some insight into what the boards do when they convene, as he has sat on a few selection boards. One of the things he said was that the board has to put up each of your LoR's, meaning that the more you have, the longer your package stays up. Of course, they should be meaningful recommendations. That was my biggest takeaway. My recruiter said that volunteering consistently is something looked upon highly, especially something like at a food bank, though I don't know how much merit to give that (volunteering is definitely a plus overall).

Just to give an idea of how my package was "significantly" updated;
I graduated and was able to send in my final conferred transcript
I added a LOR from a retired O6 SWO (just so happened to be a professor)
I added an interview/appraisal from a current O6 SWO (NROTC Detachment Commander)
I added consistent volunteer experience (5-8 hours a week at my local food bank)

By no means do I consider myself an expert in what determines a good package, I just wanted to offer the insight I received from the people I met. I have found that my recruiter is slow to respond (weeks without a text/email) being that my package is practically complete. I just figure that he is working on packages for those who are just beginning the process.
NRC views significant change as only a few items, another term of college completed to include degree conferral, or change in OAR score.

Reserve boards are nothing like active boards, what you described is what they do for reserve boards and those are much more involved as they are looking at people who have a significant background in the field they are going into or they are prior officers coming back in.

Active boards for aviation/SWO are fast, mere minutes at best for each application, sometimes they make broad cuts without looking at the applications, most times selections are done based on GPA, often they don't even read the LOR's, and if they need to it is due to a waiver and the person is on the fence. In effect most of the application is barely looked at, unless you have an issue in your background.

n0rthstar

NRC views significant change as only a few items, another term of college completed to include degree conferral, or change in OAR score.

Reserve boards are nothing like active boards, what you described is what they do for reserve boards and those are much more involved as they are looking at people who have a significant background in the field they are going into or they are prior officers coming back in.

Active boards for aviation/SWO are fast, mere minutes at best for each application, sometimes they make broad cuts without looking at the applications, most times selections are done based on GPA, often they don't even read the LOR's, and if they need to it is due to a waiver and the person is on the fence. In effect most of the application is barely looked at, unless you have an issue in your background.

I'd imagine this to be doubly so considering this will essentially be two boards in one.