• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 09 NOV 20

SWOtivated2020

Yeah no need to ever retake the OAR; in addition to others suggestions re: adding volunteering/leadership experience, how were your LORs? Were they all quality recs from people who could directly speak to your suitability as an officer?
To be honest my LORs were awful but I don't have very many people to ask to who could write a good one. As a student I didn't get to know any of my professors well enough for them to write one so I ended up only getting one from my old boss when I worked at Target.

Terminader

To be honest my LORs were awful but I don't have very many people to ask to who could write a good one. As a student I didn't get to know any of my professors well enough for them to write one so I ended up only getting one from my old boss when I worked at Target.
I don’t think who writes your letter of rec is very important. Mine were both from bosses of two part-time jobs I had during university. As long as the person can attest to your work ethic and leadership in the work place in a specific way, that’s what really matters.

exNavyOffRec

I have also heard that but I guess they don't think my degree justified that low of a GPA

unfortunately your degree is right above the minimum, and when they are cutting half of the applications yours was probably cut right at the beginning, if you were to get a graduate degree and ace it your averaged GPA would go up to just over 3.0 so you might think of aviation where the ASTB is the driver.

There have been times where boards have made a sweeping cut of applications, the one cut I heard of that has been done several times is they will pick a GPA cutoff and anyone below is a N anyone above gets reviewed.

Foreverghosty

unfortunately your degree is right above the minimum, and when they are cutting half of the applications yours was probably cut right at the beginning, if you were to get a graduate degree and ace it your averaged GPA would go up to just over 3.0 so you might think of aviation where the ASTB is the driver.

There have been times where boards have made a sweeping cut of applications, the one cut I heard of that has been done several times is they will pick a GPA cutoff and anyone below is a N anyone above gets reviewed.
This was something I would recommend as well and might be your best option.

outofphase

I thought I was in a similar situation, but when I reached out to ask people who I thought would be a stretch, they were more than happy to do it. Don't be afraid to ask anybody whom you feel would look good to the board. After I had them in, my recruiter said he felt my recommendations were very good, but I was initially sweating them big time. I would say that is by far the easiest thing you can add which would be a huge plus. I'm fairly sure they look for a minimum of two recommendations, with 3 being the usual number. When you consider that and your GPA being low enough that it likely cancelled out your engineering degree, I think it would have been hard for them to justify you over somebody who had 3 average recommendations and a plain 3.0GPA. They probably saw your single recommendation as a lack of genuine motivation because, in their eyes, it is probably more like submitting an incomplete package.

PontusPilot

Contributor
your OAR will allow you to reapply but the board really doesn't care about OAR, I am also surprised you were a No, did you have any waivers? I had a candidate with similar scores that was denied the first time, due to the relationships I had built and NRC I called and on the phone they were surprised she wasn't picked up, so much so they moved her to the next board and didn't require anything to be redone, not even a reconsideration letter, and then she was picked up.
Really wish every recruiter was like you...

zarevich

Keep updating it for future applicants.

zarevich

From what I heard, they get them a week after the official results come out? Not sure how true that is. But you can check for your name on the result list posted above if you don't want to wait for your command's word.