• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching BDCP communities prior to graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I have looked around, but have not yet found an answer to this question. Is it possible to swear in for BDCP and switch communities? I.E. Can a person swear in BDCP supply, and switch and get accepted to NUPOC or NFO for example prior to graduation? Or do you have to do your time with the community you sweared in with, and shoot for a lateral transfer after you have been commissioned?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I doubt it. Accepting BDCP is sorta like getting into college early decision. Both are used to lock people in. If you swear into supply, they've already got you taking up a slot in FYXX.

I wouldn't swear into one thing banking on a lat transfer either. Especially to sub/swo nuke(which to my knowledge, doesn't accept any) or NFO (you can count the lat xfer slots on one hand).

H

Honour_Class

Nucs used to accept lat xfers but we are glutted right now and trying to trim down our communities. Now in 4 yrs, who knows? Bring a strong record with some serious sea time and you may have a good shot.

surferb

hey...I went in originally as an NFO and then switched to NUPOC ... but it depends what the Navy needs. I doubt you could go from supply to pilot or NFO...but I think you could go to nuc...from what I understand the Navy always needs 'em....but Honor_Class may be right...again what the Navy needs...

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I know this is a little old, but all they can say in no. It would most likely be a lot easier to switch before you went to OCS, and I would recommend starting your request ASAP. Never take no for an answer, and remember that the sqeaky wheel always gets the grease.

tali264

It's possible. I switched from NFO to pilot based on a different eye exam. I just had to write a letter stating why I wanted to switch.

Godspeed

pilot
Outstanding. I hoping to get some flight time under my belt, as well as a few more extra-currics. I'm going to try and bring my FOFAR up to an 8 or 9 and my OAR higher as well. (scored a 7, 60 the last time). I'm hoping that these improvements mixed with a little luck and good timing will do the trick.

bigsur009

waiting not so patiently for OCS...
It might already be mentioned above, but are you already sworn in or are you asking before you swear in?

Godspeed

pilot
I will be swearing in supply BDCP (2 years until graduation) within a month. I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I do so. I have learned so much about all the officer programs in the past year that I feel I could write a book on it. I am sure many of us feel like that :-D

Anyhow, this subject (redesignating within BDCP) is the only one I don't fully understand. If anyone can elaborate on what the process entails, it would be greatly appreciated. I.e. The components of a redesignation package (is it just a letter or more LORs? etc etc), the likelyhood of a redesignation occuring and so on. Thanks for your help again.

Status
Not open for further replies.