• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switching aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I'm sure this question was probubly asked before, but I've looked for an answer and couldn't find it. I actually had two questions.

First of all, if I became a pilot in the Marine Corps and flew the EA-6, would I be able to later on switch aircraft and fly say the F/A-18 a few years later?

Second, if I become a pilot in the Marine Corps and flew a helicopter like the AH-1, would I be able to later on switch to jets, and fly jets?

Basicly what I'm asking is, can I switch aircraft in a community (one type of jet to another) and can I switch communities (from helo to jet)?

Thank you for replying.

Rainman

pilot
Yes, yes, yes.

Anything is possible. It is difficult to go from community to community. There are usually slots every year and you can send a package in and compete. If the Prowler was done it would be easier to switch, but doesn't look like that's in our near future.

There is a Cobra pilot in Meridian that is going through the jet syllabus.

Possible, but a difficult road.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

How exactly would a pilot go about switching aircraft or switching communities? Would it just need to apply and you would be selected depending on weather slots are open or not? Or is it more complicated then that?

Rainman

pilot
Not really sure. I've heard there's a transistion board for pipeline changes. . but I don't know any of the details. Somebody here has the good scoop. . standby.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Switching a/c is very difficult under most circumstances. There are jobs that give the opportunity to fly multiple aircraft, but when you're done, you still go back to your original community. Examples of these jobs are test pilot, HMX-1, SAR (helo and fleet support), and probably some more I'm forgetting. The only way it happens as a routine basis is when one aircraft is being phased out, e.g. F-4 to F/A-18, right now CH-46E to V-22, someday F-18 and AV8B to JSF, etc.

Switching communities is actually probably easier. Generally there are about 2-3 slots a year for helo to jet and helo to KC-130. As you can imagine, anytime there are only 2 or 3 of anything, it can be pretty competitive. From what I've heard, they prefer skid pilots for the jet transitions, since they have more familiarity w/ weapons employment and such.

The biggest problem with changing communities is that you'll be a fairly senior captain by the time you bring any creds to the table. Then you redesignate, and are senior in rank, but still a boot pilot in that particular airframe. Career-wise, probably not the best call, but if you want to be able to fly any aircraft on the ramp, it would be an interesting challenge. Don't could on a transition as your backup plan, though, the odds are still stacked against you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Like other tools, they're very good for the task they're designed for, but not much else! :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.