• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switching aircraft

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah, like that has ever stopped the Navy before.
I almost messed up my keyboard with a reflexive snarf of a breakfast and snot mix, but I held it in (need an emoji for these). :D

@Hair Warrior , the last pilot shortage crisis, twenty years ago in the years following the post-Cold War drawdown/mid-1990s "peace dividend," didn't last more than a few years. The one twenty years before that (post-Vietnam drawdown) didn't either. There was another one, about twenty years before that too... The services have their marching orders but this one is gonna smooth out just like all the others did.

That's good that you're paying attention to those big policies and trends, I just think you're reading a bit much of them into the PFI experiment.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
but this one is gonna smooth out just like all the others did.
I'm not saying it's going to derail everything, but I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples. Isn't the airline retirement situation fairly unprecedented? The retirement numbers are staggering and the millennial generation did not produce as many pilots as it might have without 9/11 or the recession. I mean, airlines are hiring us knuckle dragging helo pilots. If that doesn't tell you things are different, what will?! ?

Jim123

pilot
I'm not saying it's going to derail everything, but I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples. Isn't the airline retirement situation fairly unprecedented? The retirement numbers are staggering and the millennial generation did not produce as many pilots as it might have without 9/11 or the recession. I mean, airlines are hiring us knuckle dragging helo pilots. If that doesn't tell you things are different, what will?! ?
^^^ Ahhhh there's that old saying.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."
-Mark Twain (attributed, late 19th Century)

"... and rhymes connect."
-RUN DMC (King of Rock, 1985)

The invisible hand of the marketplace will find a way on the civilian side and naval flight training will survive.

Jim123

pilot
Is that chocolate frozen yogurt?
Yes, yes it is!

G76-xR.gif

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It's actually pretty awesome. There is no instrument scan in the T-6...there's an instrument stare.

Once you figure out the buttonology, it's probably one of the better cockpits in the inventory. There's really nothing you have to mess with except for some line select keys and some T9 english type button mashing. Everything is either right in front of your, or on the power lever or quadrant. As far as human/machine interface, it's pretty well thought out. Just wish it had a real keyboard.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The HUD is great. I agree, a real keyboard like in the T-38C would be much easier to deal with but the navigation system is like a standard FMS in terms of data entry. The A had the older T-34 style GPS but even after messing with that it was pretty easy.

Jim123

pilot
It's actually pretty awesome. There is no instrument scan in the T-6...there's an instrument stare.

Once you figure out the buttonology, it's probably one of the better cockpits in the inventory. There's really nothing you have to mess with except for some line select keys and some T9 english type button mashing. Everything is either right in front of your, or on the power lever or quadrant. As far as human/machine interface, it's pretty well thought out. Just wish it had a real keyboard.
Yep- the rest of the switches are laid out pretty well for a smooth pattern doing the ground checklists when you're starting the plane up or shutting it down. I think Pickle's squadron was even trying something a lot like flows followed by checklist verification for a while (mind blowing!!).

It takes a lot of practice to get good at trimming it, but the airplane has very strong pitch-speed stability and roll stability... makes it especially good to fly instruments and forms. In the flare, the bottom tends to drop out suddenly and hard if you pull the power back too high/too soon, and strong landing crosswinds need a lot of force on the stick for the right aileron input. Those are about the two worst things I can say about the handling, which is to say that it's overall pretty great.

The HUD is great when it works. For a few years, several of them had this weird quirk that they'd randomly turn on full bright and not respond to the dimmer switch (no dedicated breaker either). The best solution was to put an approach plate on the projector. The overlords at NAVAIR/Wright-Patt/JPO were quite slothly in providing us a solution to that problem (lazy would be putting took kindly). They wouldn't approve Mx taking it apart to disconnect the cannon plug and zip tie it off, even thought it was blindingly bright when it did it at night. Since then, most of the ones that don't work are just burned out or the collimator is inexplicably out of focus. Avionics have always been a big weak point on the T-6... the original radios would overheat (solved with bigger cooling fans), when water leaks into the avionics compartment it's like it all dumps on the single-point-of-failure audio amp... At least the avionics in the B don't leak eye-watering smoke like some ADIs have done in Alpha hazreps.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The T-6 has pretty bad speed stability around 100-160 KCAS which is why it’s so easy to overspeed the flaps/gear.