• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Switch To Marine Option

helolover

HeloLover
I'm a newb, and to answer the inevitable question I have searched and tried to find the answer to this and have come up short. I am in high school at the moment and wish to eventually join the Marine Corps. I would like to fly but this is not the only reason I wish to join. I was wondering how difficult it is to switch to a Marine option once in a an NROTC unit. My concern is I may not meet the Marine Corps physical standards, though I do meet those for a Navy PRT. Again, thanks for tolerating my newbie questions and any input is appreciated.

navy09

None
Give us some more info. What yr are you? Do you have a NROTC scholarship yet? If not, just apply for a Marine Option scholarship.

Once at your unit, it's generally not too hard to switch over. You have to be able to meet their physical requirements though.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My concern is I may not meet the Marine Corps physical standards, though I do meet those for a Navy PRT.

Being physically fit is part and parcel of being a Marine and that won't be waived if you can't make the grade.....so "get on it" and amp up your workout regime to get there. Last thing you want to be is a straggler (don't be that guy).

I'm a college programmer so this will be different for you if you end up with a scholarship. When I decided to switch, I walked in and just asked. The AMOI asked me a few questions then walked over to the main office where he asked one of the secretaries to change my info over. If you're on scholarship I think it might take as long as a year to switch over but that might have just been in one case here.

tlord82

pilot
I switched my junior year from a Navy scholarship to a Marine scholarship. Wasn't that hard, but I had a good MOI who was excited about me moving to the Green side. I had already been PT'ing and drilling with the Marine Options since my sophomore year and was practically a Marine option in all but name. My package went in at the beginning of my junior year and got approved about halfway through second semester (just in time to miss the midterm in Navigation II). I actually got my Marine flight guarantee before my change in scholarship came through.
I agree with the previous posters: get yourself in shape now and apply for the Marine Option scholarship. Don't assume you will be able to switch later on. There's good gouge on this site to help your pullups and your OSO should also help out.
Good luck.

helolover

HeloLover
To answer previous questions, I am working my butt off right now to get into to shape. I can meet Marine Corps minimums, but I figure I probably should be able to do more than the minimums to be taken seriously once I'm there and also to avoid being THAT guy. It is for that reason I am considering starting Navy and Pt'ing with the Marine options to show that I wish to be there. I will be applying for a NROTC scholarship but I will probably have others as well so that is not as great a concern. My biggest, as said earlier, is not being THAT guy. Thanks again for all you guys' input.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I was in the exact position that tlord was in - Picked up Navy scholarship, went to CORTAMID, came back, told them I wanted Marine, had a great MOI, and long and the short is I ended up a 2ndLt.

If you want to be a Marine bad enough, you will be one. The only thing stopping you is YOU. Don't let anybody tell you anything different. Especially in the Corps, if you want it bad enough and work for it hard enough they will give it to you.

Yut

helolover

HeloLover
Firstly, I assure you that I have no shortage of heart, motivation, and initiative. In the past few months I have improved greatly in all aspects physically. Second, you must also understand I am an Army brat and have grown up around the Army all my life. For this reason I have no clue what either CORTAMID or an MOI is. Lastly, I was also wondering which communities some of you Marine options ended up in since being commisoned. Also, what are the chances of getting an Air contract in the Marine Corps (I realize this should be the least of my concerns and I should instead be focused actually making it throught NROTC). Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Firstly, I assure you that I have no shortage of heart, motivation, and initiative. In the past few months I have improved greatly in all aspects physically. Second, you must also understand I am an Army brat and have grown up around the Army all my life. For this reason I have no clue what either CORTAMID or an MOI is. Thanks for putting up with my questions.

CORTRAMID=Career Orientation TRAining of MIDshipmen
-A summer cruise taken by 3/C or 2/C MIDs that is 4 weeks long. Each week is with a different warfare community: aviation, surface, subs, marine. It is designed to acquaint MIDs with the various services mission and lifestyle.

MOI=Marine Officer Instructor
-At an NROTC unit, there are several active duty officers that are advisors for the MIDs. For the Marine Options and MECEPs, their advisor is the MOI, often a Captain or Major.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
what are the chances of getting an Air contract in the Marine Corps

Pretty good right now actually. The Corps is growing and we are in need of pilots (as we always have been). Just stay on this site to keep you up to speed on how things work in both NROTC and the USMC.

The more you stay ahead of your aircraft the better off you'll be.

incubus852

pilot
A short answer to how difficult it is to switch from Navy scholarship to Marine scholarship is it is not that difficult. The Corps is always looking for good officers and like Austin said, the Corps is in need of pilots and officers right now. But that may change in several years... the Navy and MC work in cycles.

Several of my friends switched from Navy to Marine scholarships, and all of them got it, except one. They will evaluate you on all levels, specifically grades and physical fitness. They also want someone who will exemplify a Marine Corps officer. So... smart, able to PT and lead others in both fields with plenty of heart and motivation.

Don't think too far in the future...

What you need to do right now:
1.) Get good grades so you can get into a school that has NROTC
2.) Get yourself in good physical shape and stay that way
3.) That being said, you need to prepare yourself to be a good pick when it comes times to award NROTC scholarships. Good grades and showing that you are a leader are key; being a sports team captain, organizer/president of a club of some sort and son. Show that you have the potential to be a good leader.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you want the Marine scholarship, then apply for the Marine Scholarship. Yes, you have to do a PFT, but you don't have to ace the thing, just do respectably. A few extra miles on the track now will be easier than rolling the dice on switching later.

helolover

HeloLover
You are required to do a PFT upon entering the program, correct? Also, if you fail to meet their standards are you put on remedial PT (which I have absolutely no problem and am more than willing to do) or are you not permitted to continue with the program? Again, i am more than willing to do PT, and am currently trying to improve my pull-ups and sit-ups and runnig, but am just curious how the system works. Again, thanks for helping me out.:(

You will probably just do the next PFT (january?). You probably won't have to do remedial PT until you take the PFT and show that you are below unit standards. However it's probably a good idea to start going to remedial PT anyway if you want to get better.