• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim test

Starscream

I've heard that it is a requirement to swim one mile in the Navy if you go to API. Is there a time limit? Can you swim using any stoke you are comfortable with (I like to swim sidestroke personally)? Thanks for any feedback.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
There's a time limit, but generally you either made the mile with time to spare or had to quit completely. I don't think I've ever seen somebody not make whatever time is allotted.

You can use whatever stroke you want to.

BTW, you're wearing a flightsuit (no boots or gear) when you do it. It's not a big deal.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I just did mine 2 days ago. It wasn't hard at all. The time limit is 80 minutes which is plenty of time. There are 4 official navy strokes that you will use (and be taught if necessary) in API Water Survival: American Crawl (aka freestyle), Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke (aka frogstroke). You can use any combination of these, except the backstroke, on the mile. You will get plenty of practice before hand and instruction if needed. We had 2 fail out of ~35 and they both quit after about 20 minutes, one had just had the flu; everyone else finished with time remaining. They will both get EI for a week or so and try again. If you still have problems they will roll you out of class for a full week of swimming instruction. So don't worry just do the work and don't be afraid to ask for help. But if you want to prepare for it the best thing you can do is be in good cardiovascular health and spend some time in the pool getting comfortable in the water.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
They can teach a brick to swim it in under 60. RELAX. It's not a big deal. Your first four FAMs will probably kick your ass more than the mile swim...

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Bring an iPod with a good mix on it. The instructors have no problem cranking up the tunes while everyone swims. Plus it helps break up the monotony.

magnetfreezer

My swimming was initially described as a "train wreck" and ended up rolling me for 2 weeks of swim hold into ave8tors class and doing the mile in 68 mins (only had to do the 1040EZ though). The only people I heard of getting attrited from API for water survival stuff were usually having trouble with the swim and in other parts of API which resulted in a DOR. There is more tolerance for difficulty swimming - not everyone has access to a pool, but if you are not PTing or studying that is completely under your control and a much bigger issue to worry about for API (PRT is not that hard but getting a pink sheet for the very first event sets up a bad rep).

Starscream

My problem is, is that I am a pretty bad swimmer, but I was told recently that I am pro rec'd for pilot and nfo . I would hate to quit now because I have been harrasing so many people to go to OCS (especially my recruiter) and I don't like to give up on anything I start (I know I would regret it later). I managed to get a hold of a flight suit today (borrowed it from someone at work) and swam sidestroke the entire time. It took me 69 minutes to swim a mile.