• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim test question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

John...this may be a silly question but I was curious.

On the OCS app' it asks if you can swim 50 feet underwater. I have never seen this requirement written anywhere else. Do you actully have to do it? I've been working out in the pool and the only thing I'm not particularly strong at is holding my breath and I'm asking you because you went to dive school.

Dunkers and swimming considered, what's a good time to be able to hold your breath? Is there a technique you recommend to improve this ability, other than practice? Does exhaling underwater while swimming help or hurt you?

About dive school? Do you think a pilot either on a sea or shore tour would ever have a chance of going?

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

I honestly don't know what requirements you will face during OCS since I didn't go through that training. Though during your swimming at API you will have to jump off a tower into the water, and swim underwater for ~25 feet. Basically simulating escaping from a ship or wreckage, and avoiding any possible oil slicks and flames that would be around the wreckage.

You are primarily concerned with increasing lung capacity. You would surprised how quickly you can improved your ability to hold your breath and swim greater distances under water just by increasing your cardiovascular workout. Either running, or preferably swimming laps at a decent pace over a period of 2 weeks will show a marked improvement in your ability to hold your breath. You are probably already doing this, but I used to always practice swimming under water during my workouts and try and increase my distances.

Is there a good time? No, not really, it is not like you are going to dive school where you will be stuck at the bottom of the pool with your twin 80s and regulator stolen from you by an imposer! Some of the dive school instructors could hold their breath for some serious time, past the 3 minute mark, though fortunately we weren't subjected to that long a period stuck on the bottom without air. But I would say that generally everyone should at least be able to swim underwater without difficulty, the length of a 25 yard pool.

Does exhaling underwater help or hurt you? Well, that is really up to your own technique. I personally exhale along the way in small bursts, but not down to a completely empty lung.

A lot of people before holding their breath or swimming underwater, take many deep breaths, or rapid breaths, basically hyperventilating. (Going back to my dive physics and medical days, so hopefully I am remembering everything correctly!) Basically the person is decreasing their CO2 levels in their body, the craving/desire for air when you are underwater stems from an autonomic response to CO2 levels in the body (higher the CO2 level, the greater the desire to gasp for air).

This technique is ok in the pool, but is VERY dangerous when people do it out snorkling or free diving. The diving community has had its fair share of fatalaties to divers egging each other on to see who could dive the deepest and longest without scuba gear. Sometimes people will come upon a situation called "shallow water blackout", where right as you come back up close to the surface from your breath holding dive, due to pressure changes, the lungs basically suck the O2 right out of your blood supply, causing you to black out at a very shallow depth of 15 feet or so. Very dangerous.

Here is an interesting article about free diving and shallow water blackout, talking about what exactly hyperventilation will do to you (in better terms than what I just described): http://www.gulftel.com/~scubadoc/Freedive.htm

Have a chance to go to dive school? Hmm, I honestly don't see how you could swing it, since you will never be in a job category where you will be required to use that skill. Hey, stranger things have happened, but I kind of doubt it. Basically, all my Navy dive quals lapsed a couple of years ago (my civilian dives don't count unfortunately), and I would either have to get evaluated by a dive locker, or go back through the program if I were ever to be in a position to dive again for the Navy (doubtful!).

But if you ever get the chance, I strongly encourage going through dive school. It is a great community, and a wonderful experience for those of you that are masochists out there! jk Probably the best school in the Navy that I have been through.

Otherwise, sounds like you are doing everything that you need to do to prepare for OCS and API, so basically, don't sweat the small stuff or the fine print so to speak!

As for me, just finished SIM1 yesterday, have two more SIMs to go, and I get to fly the P3, woohoo. Haven't flown since last September, so really looking forward to going out and flying again.

AK

Dave,

I'm at OCS right now and don't worry about that question on the application. If I were you though, I'd check off that you can do it.

All of the Aviators and FOs in my class go to the pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The instructors teach us all of the things that we'll be required to learn and pass at API. As for the underwater swim, you'll have to do it off the 15ft tower which makes it a bit more difficult.

Just concentrate on getting in great overall shape and it'll make your life at OCS a lot easier. Hope I helped you out.

AK

Stephen

AK
On the Tues and Thursdays, when the SNA's and NFO's go to the pool, is it still high stress; or are the instructors a bit more patient and take the time to really help you istead of just throwing you in the pool and say swim like they did me at Parris Island back in 92?

Stephen J. Hall

Tahoe

quote:
AK
On the Tues and Thursdays, when the SNA's and NFO's go to the pool, is it still high stress; or are the instructors a bit more patient and take the time to really help you istead of just throwing you in the pool and say swim like they did me at Parris Island back in 92?

You couldn't swim??

Stephen

Tahoe,
Maybe I XXAGERATED a little bit, but heck they might as well. At the time I went through there was approximately 68 recruits in my platoon, and roughly the same in the other. The instructors gave those who were weak swimmers or those who just plain could'nt swim some instruction, but in my opinion given the large number of recruits they had to process it was'nt very helpful, and at times they were not very patient either. I made it through swim qual, but it was'nt fun. However, back then we had to qual with our packs, and rifles.

Stephen J. Hall

Kraftwerk

quote:
AK

Stephen J. Hall

OCS Swim training is conducted by API swim instructors, and it is very low stress. They work with you and help you improve your stroke, and it's a good time. Your class Drill Instructor might poke in from time to time, but the API swim instructors run the swim show. If you can't swim at all you will get remedial help throughout the program until you pass the 3rd class. All swim instruction is conducted by Aviation Schools Command personnel and is very very low stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.