• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim test at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard a rumor that aviation candidates have to complete a 1 mile survival swim wearing full gear (incl boots)
censored_125.gif
. Has anyone out there done this?

I must admit I am a little intimidated. I currently have a PFT of 280, so I am not totally out of shape, I just swim poorly. I passed a watermanship test for SCUBA diving, but it was only 400 meters and that almost killed me.

I used to use excuses like not having enough body fat to float, etc. All the best swimmers in the world are in shape with low body fat though, so it is a pretty poor excuse. I guess I will just have to suck it up and get things done. Any advice?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 1 mile swim is at API in a flight suit only - no boots

At TBS you have to get a 1st class swim qual. It's far more difficult (burning oil drill) than any swimming you'll do at API. You don't do any swimming at OCS, unless you count the Quigley.

Sente

JamesD I was also worried about the Swim Qual at TBS because of my inclination to sink. I even took a swim class at the local club to improve. But a friend of mine is currently at helo pilot training for the USMC and said he wasn't a great swimmer but made it through fine. He said about 45 of them were in the class at TBS and everyone eventually qualified. Granted it's probably easier if you're a fish, but he said everyone just does it and gets it over with. And if you fail a section you try, try again until you pass. No worries....

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah..I swim well, was competative in high school...but can't float for sh** (aka..other people can just float on their backs, if I don't keep moving I go down..lol)

After looking into this subject a bit, it seems that if you always put out maximum effort and never give up, you will eventually pass the swim requirements. I have started taking some classes too.

livefast

A moot point in re wildflyin69's post: consiously keeping your butt as high in the water as you can bring it while keeping your body as horizontal as possible will really help you float while you're motionless.

troycal

squeeze, I was told by my OSO 2nd class will be sufficient for pilots. I'm not calling you a liar, but are you saying this from experience? I'm just trying to figure it out for myself because I am not that strong of a swimmer either. I made it to 2nd class in boot camp, barely.

I think swimming under oil would be easier than the guy that pulls u under and "tries to drown you".

Dustball

2nd LT
Sorry Trocal but your OSO is wrong. All SNA's and SNFO's will complete a 1st class before leaving TBS. If you don't you stay there until you do pass. They definitly won't ship you to API until you complete your swim quals.

troycal

Ok, so how much time do they have scheduled for swim qual. during TBS? Also, you say you don't leave until you qual sw1, does that mean you are held back or do you have to qualify on your own time if you can't make it the first time?
Thanks,
Troy

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I got my commission, passing the the 1st Class swim test was a pre-requisite. The test itself is a joke...and I'm a very weak swimmer. But I prefer to swim under the water, not on top. Put me in SCUBA gear and I can swim all day long!

Dustball

2nd LT
Troycal: If you don't pass durring the regular swim quals you have to go to remedial swim classes on your free time until you pass. If you havn't passed by time your Company graduates then you go to Mike Company and continue to try until you either pass or give up.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
TBS is The Basic school, all Marine Officers go through this.

Navy OCS has the 3rd class swim test. It involves dropping from a 10 foot platform and swimming to the edge of the pool. Swim 50 yards, using any stroke. Dead man float for 5 minutes (lie prone, lift your head to breath, repeat), and finally, you put on dungarees and have to make a floatation device out of your pants with one of four different methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.