• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim quals for SNA's

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What happened to the one mile swim in full flight gear we had to do?

Went to the same place as the ultra long drown proof ( was it 60 minutes? )rifle run, manual of arms, rose garden, fighting off dinosauers on the way to classes, etc, etc...

saltpeter

Don't about the tickle in you belly when you had to jump off the high dive and swim half the pool length underwater.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Went to the same place as the ultra long drown proof ( was it 60 minutes? )
I remember 5/5 for tread/drownproof...fresh out of high school as an aircrewman in late 80's...the 5 min tread was killing me w/ low body fat (def. then - not now):D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember 5/5 for tread/drownproof...fresh out of high school as an aircrewman in late 80's...the 5 min tread was killing me w/ low body fat (def. then - not now):D
Really, I remember it being a lot longer in 1979. We were in the water forever. I pratically fell asleep during the drown proof floats. Guys were singing and making whale noises underwater so the DIs couldn't hear the goofiness. Had to be over five minutes. Some old guy needs to help me out here.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
What hurts is to see guys struggling (literally) with 2/2. I'm in the pool at refresher these days thinking, "They'd be fishing your a$$ off the bottom."

joeyF-18

Bad swimmer

I'm not the best swoimmer there is, so I'm kinda worried about the swimmimg part of OCS. Can anybody ease my mind on this problem? I feel stupid now. I just got done reading the thread.

avball

scotty008 said:
You do swim qual during zero week, starting at 4th class and moving down. Everyone else stops at 2, while the SNAs/SNFOs do 1. In 2, you have to swim around the pool in combat gear, pull a buddy across, etc. The pack you have floats, which makes it relatively easy. 1 is made up of three parts: 1. demonstrate the three survival strokes (breast, side, elem back) 2. rescues (approach your buddy who attacks you, and swim him across the pool) 3. 250 meter swim, any stroke. The rescues get some people, as does the fact that they're pretty anal about stroke technque. Overall, its not too bad. If you fail, they send you to remedial 3 times a week until you pass.

-again, this is just for the Marine side... no idea how it applies to the navy. Good luck

Would I be correct in assuming I get to do it again even if I've got a current WSQ? :p