• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim quals for SNA's

hrntcat18

what do navy/marine corps pilots have to be swim wise? i am a 2nd class swimmer, must they pass a 1st class swim or what is it classified as?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
They have specific swim qualifications for SNAs that you will have you do while in API. Until then don't worry...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you can't pass the 1st class test, you won't get jets.

Time hack....

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Marine SNAs have to qualify as First Class swimmers at TBS. If you can do second class, you shouldnt have any problem. Most of it is just simulated rescues.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
You do swim qual during zero week, starting at 4th class and moving down. Everyone else stops at 2, while the SNAs/SNFOs do 1. In 2, you have to swim around the pool in combat gear, pull a buddy across, etc. The pack you have floats, which makes it relatively easy. 1 is made up of three parts: 1. demonstrate the three survival strokes (breast, side, elem back) 2. rescues (approach your buddy who attacks you, and swim him across the pool) 3. 250 meter swim, any stroke. The rescues get some people, as does the fact that they're pretty anal about stroke technque. Overall, its not too bad. If you fail, they send you to remedial 3 times a week until you pass.

-again, this is just for the Marine side... no idea how it applies to the navy. Good luck

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I remember correctly, NROTC types have to have a 1st class qual to commission . . .

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I believe you only have to get 3rd class to commission...im STA21 and during NSI all we had to do was the 3rd class and they said that was all we needed to be commissioned