• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim Qual

WinterMute

So, the current word at TBS is to forget about CWS-1 for now, as the MOS schools and API will have their own criteria once we reach them. They are ending CWS-1 requirement for air contracts , and much of the work of the MCWSS instructors here at TBS. Still, is the CWS-1 qualification permanantly dead? Do those of us who barely made it through CWS-2 still need to be swimming before API to be able to do well on Aviation swim?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So, the current word at TBS is to forget about CWS-1 for now, as the MOS schools and API will have their own criteria once we reach them. They are ending CWS-1 requirement for air contracts , and much of the work of the MCWSS instructors here at TBS. Still, is the CWS-1 qualification permanantly dead? Do those of us who barely made it through CWS-2 still need to be swimming before API to be able to do well on Aviation swim?

No. CWS-2 was the hard one, and that was much harder than the swimming at API.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Having read through the CWS-1 and WSQ here the bulk of that sounds similar to stuff you'll do in API, sans the 30 min tread and float. I got put on swim holds for a couple weeks, and they had me do half hour tread/floats to build some aquaconfidence. Two weeks, and I grew gills.

WinterMute said:
Do those of us who barely made it through CWS-2 still need to be swimming before API to be able to do well on Aviation swim?
If you get the chance, sure. As long as you're comfortable in the water, you might not need to. They do build you up to the goals.

Swanee's got better gouge, and I never saw Marines at hold swim.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I punted on the CWS-1 test at TBS and did fine at API.

Working on your swimming never hurts. You don't have to go all Mark Spitz...did that make me sound old...I mean Michael Phelps. Just keep doing it maybe weekly as part of your personal workouts. Aviation swimming isn't all that rigorous physically; it's almost all about being comfortable in the water, and not freaking out if you don't get to breathe exactly when you wanted to.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
That was the best news Ive ever heard here in Barrett land.... well that and the early cancelation of FEX III....

pharaelga

Sir, they canceled the final day of it. On that wonderful Wednesday before it was canceled, we got rained on, hailed on and snowed on. My entire lower body got soaked and I was laying in 180 degree security in snow, not a very fun day.... my usual daydreaming about sunny beaches in P-cola did not help me here. The vehicles were unable to extract us from the training area causing us to have to hike 1.5 miles in 6 inches of snow to get to an extract LZ (it became a serious training hazard because of this). I felt like I had been transported back to the Korean War era.... it was one of those moments where you just laugh wondering how things can get anymore shitty....(I know they can)

b0pric01

pilot
Sir, they canceled the final day of it. On that wonderful Wednesday before it was canceled, we got rained on, hailed on and snowed on. My entire lower body got soaked and I was laying in 180 degree security in snow, not a very fun day.... my usual daydreaming about sunny beaches in P-cola did not help me here. The vehicles were unable to extract us from the training area causing us to have to hike 1.5 miles in 6 inches of snow to get to an extract LZ (it became a serious training hazard because of this). I felt like I had been transported back to the Korean War era.... it was one of those moments where you just laugh wondering how things can get anymore shitty....(I know they can)

Damn, and to think I barely missed out on going to TBS in the winter.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What about the Amphib Fex/Fex 4? I'm an 02, and this is the internet for God's sake, so please dont call me sir.

pharaelga

Oh yea 1 bar rule lol I just saw those shiny wings and figured that you were a Capt, I've heard that this forum isn't exactly anonymous. We got Convoy FEX next week as scheduled. From what I hear the POI pretty much winds down after MOUT which is at the end of this month for us. There is supposed to be good weather for MOUT but I'm not counting it. I've been counting down the days... I really hate f'in cold weather---but nooooo API had to be backed up and air contracts assigned to 'glacier' golf.....

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

WOW it's glad to know I spent nearly every Wedensday and Thursday evening from day one til the second to last week that I would have had to myself at TBS hanging out at the pool only to hear that it's TS condition one, the pool might have been shocked, you're not gliding, blah blah blah when it was all for naught.

WinterMute

Apparently the whole of the CWS-# program is officially dead; switching to CWS-B(asic),I(ntermediate),A(dvanced). All flight contracts have to get anymore is CWS-B, which is a joke and basically equivalent to CWS-4. The days of the TBS swim team are now in the history books...Unless of course they start sending people down to API who need remediation for swim, in which case a higher requirement will probably come down the pipe...